An Apple Special Event Next Week?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
An Apple-sponsored media special event may be in the offing. While we've been focused on when PowerBooks will get overhauled, the more obvious question -- and often overlooked -- is what is coming down the pike for the xServe?

Whereas a new PowerBook sporting a G5 processor almost mandates a public show-off session, the xServe with a G5 would demand this same treatment. Given the drastic price cuts in the current xServe, one can only imagine it is EOL or near EOL.

So when will the xServe get its overhaul? And will it have a G4 or the new G5?

Many say that the xServe is on the verge of going G5. Given the liquidation of the current xServe models, the dimishing stocks of current model PowerBooks, and the soon-to-be shipping Power Mac G5s, why not wrap it all up into one special event?

Therefore, I say that Apple will hold a special event the week of August 18th to:
  • Announce it is now shipping DVD Studio Pro 2.

• Announce it is shipping the first single processor G5s. Narrow down the timeframe when dual processor G5 Power Macs will ship.

• Announce new PowerBooks. The PowerBook will most likely retain the G4 processor, using the new 7457. Show off the new model 15-inch aluminum PowerBook.

• Announce a new model xServe using a G5 processor.

Chime in. Will Apple hold a special event next week to announce new hardware?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Well, Apple has already announced that DVDSP2 will begin shipping on the 18th, so maybe a press thingy the week after next.

Oh, wait, this is Sunday. So sure, I could see something announced along with DVDSP2 on Tuesday 19th next week. My hope is displays, FWIW.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Yep, forgot about new displays! Or the much-rumored wireless mouse!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

An Apple-sponsored media special event may be in the offing. ......

... and where did this come from? Announcement somewhere?? Link??
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

... and where did this come from? Announcement somewhere?? Link??

i will have to agree with you, Bigc...I've been tired of waiting and hearing these things. I'll believe it when i see it, and then after believing it, ill spend thousands of dollars on it.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Yep, forgot about new displays! Or the much-rumored wireless mouse!

no new displays

and anything less than a G5 Powerbook will be released via press release not a special event
  • Reply 6 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

no new displays

and anything less than a G5 Powerbook will be released via press release not a special event

Is it any different or just special wording to designate importance?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    A press release is an email.. a special event is when someone stands in front of a podium and reads to the press, the contents of the press release...

MSKR
  • Reply 8 of 16
    To elaborate on the future of the xServe...

The current xServe as a 1U server is better off going with faster, lower-powered 7457s. The low-power performance of the G4 is what makes the xServe (as a server) unique.

On the other hand, a rack-mountable computational engine - something along the lines of the current xServe Cluster - would obviously beg for G5 power. Would Apple be able to fit multiple G5s and controller in a 1U? Not sure.

Add in the fact that such a G5 HPC solution is a high-profile high-priority concern for Apple (if for no other reason than public perception), it will be interesting to see what comes next.

What do you reckon? Will the xServe line be split into server and computation along a G4/G5 split? Or will there be a compromise one way or the other?

GXP
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Gregorius has an interesting suggestion there. We know for a fact that Apple can't bring out a lot of new hardware products at once. Therefore, they have to pick what will make the biggest splash.

A G5 cluster node would be a good choice. An aluminum 15" 7457 powerbook is another good choice.

As for displays, 12" and 17" powerbooks, etc. we can suppose they'll get updated eventually, but none of them are big crowd-pleasers.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    To announce only 15" PowerBooks, and not new 12" & 17" rev's also would seem odd. (7455 in the 12 & 17 but a 7457 in the 15...)

I;m hoping that the mobo's in the 12 and 17 are ready fior a 7457 to be practically dropped in and not retooled.

As for the Xserves.. i have no idea . (but they look cool)

MSKR
  • Reply 11 of 16
    A special event isn't needed for new PB's.

Update the website and within an hour every Mac related site and rumour board will be going nuts.

By the end of the day orders at the Apple Store will have filled production capacity for 2 months.

By the time all orders taken in the first week are shipped we are going to be going nuts talking about the G5 PB and counting the days until it is announced.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If they don't update displays, I'll just buy the current one. But if they do, I'll definitely add it onto my purchase.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    What do you suppose will happen to the iMac or eMac?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    eMac got updated a while ago, the iMac needs an update
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Or the much-rumored wireless mouse!

I would go buy an Apple wireless mouse. Maybe Apple could release a backlit keyboard with that mouse too.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Good lord. Another one of those "[event connected to Apple product] will happen next [point of time that returns at a regular basis]" thread.