I saw Iron Maiden and Motörhead this weekend

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Myself, my girlfriend, and a friend of ours took a road trip this weekend to Columbus, Ohio because we got free tickets to see Iron Maiden, Dio, and Motörhead (and good tickets at that ). Motörhead ruled as expected, but they had a rather short set, which disappointed me. Dio was very satisfyingly set on slaying dragons. Iron Maiden gave me chills, it's amazing to see a band that's been going as long as Iron Maiden, still rock out just as bad ass as ever, especially from the 5th row. Anybody here seen Iron Maiden?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I've see them in Boston they all rocked. Havy metal baby!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Holy crap. Talk about your blast from the past. LEMMMY!

I didn't think those two bands even existed anymore as such. I remember Maiden used to crank out the albums back in the 80's. They were to metal what Madonna was to pop. I remember people calling into radio shows with the "what would you do for front row Maiden tickets?" thing. One guy called in and said he'd give them his mother.

The sick fuk. I wonder what that guy is doing today. Probably an investment banker.

The only Maiden album I liked was the one with pyramids on the cover: Powerslave.

Heh. What a name. Had some seriously crankin tunes on that one. I was more of Scorpions and Van Halen kid back in the day though. I wasn't bitter / angst-ridden enough to be a Maiden fan. Bizarre how every generation has one or two bands that attract those kinds of kids like magnets.

I recall almost every Maiden fan I knew back then totally "hated" their parents, were always getting into trouble (mostly to piss the parental units off), farking up in school. Maiden was the band for the angry crew.

• Reply 3 of 10
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Powerslave is a good album, but Number Of The Beast is still my favorite. But they're definitely still kicking, they had an album out in 2000, which was a bit weak, but still decent, and another coming in September which what they played off of it sounded pretty good. What did surprise me though, was that with Motörhead there, I didn't see a single motorcycle, I saw a lot of bikers, but the ones parked next to me were driving an Escalade..., I'm hoping that they had separate parking areas for the motorcycles, because I don't want to believe that nobody drove theirs.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    Iron Maiden Sucks
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

Iron Maiden Sucks

Seriously, what's your deal?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Did you know that Bruce Dickinson is a commercial pilot?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Dio was very satisfyingly set on slaying dragons.

Dio has rocked for a long, long time,

Now it's time for him to pass the torch.

He has songs of wildebeests and angels,

He has soared on the wings of a demon.

It's time to pass the torch,

You're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you.

We're takin' you to a home,

But we will sing a song about you.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

Seriously, what's your deal?

Yah, what he ^ said. Keep up that "Iron Maiden sucks" stuff and we'll sick Eddy on your ass.

• Reply 9 of 10
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I have partied with Lemmy before. Very cool guy. He married a girl I knew from SF who owned the famous Record Vault store in SF (She was from KC). He was funny. That guy IS heavy fukin metal. Period.

I have met Bruce Dickenson too. He flew his plane to KC and did a private acoustice jam with a guitar player at an expensive wine bistro I worked at. There were only 8 people in the room. Aint that wild? He was a true gentleman. Flew in, jammed, hung out, and flew home. Wow.

FYI: Bruce was an Olympic fencing contender too. Yup. Tis true.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    How on earth did you happen to meet two of my top musical heroes? Not to mention you partied with one of them, by any chance was Lemmy drinking Jack Daniel's?