Googlegear return question (You'll like this)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I bought a cpu (yes PC) because I am forced to have at least one decent PC around me. It was the 2.4 P4 800 chip and it arrived with bent pins. I inspect these things when they arrive because I do not want something going wrong in 1 year or something like that. Well so I requested a return from the merchant, Googlegear.com, and they said they can only issue an RMA for an inspection. Of course this is after I had already sent it back. I tried booting this up and it wouldn't work so I consider this DOA. They claim they will not replace the item. Do you think I can file a claim with my credit card company (I have protection through them) and get my money back if they refuse to return? I am trying to weigh my options and if they won't replace it, it is useless as it doesn't work. It seems like a scam to me! Anyway I know this is not Apple but it is a painful story about PC's and I am writing this on a Powerbook. Plus you guys always provide the best advice and help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Eh, it depends. Googlegear (No exp w/ this company what so ever) might have a disclamer hidden within their site somewhere that they use as legal protection. I don't know your CC company so I can't comment on that. You might try contacting your local States Attorney's consumer proctection office, and the one that Googlegear resides in.

From Googlegear's site

Quote:

All products must be returned in like-new condition, including original packaging and all documentation and accessories. Charges will be applied for all missing accessories or parts. Googlegear will not accept items that have been physically damaged or misused. Overclocking or improper installation of CPU fans will cause CPUs to chip or burn. All chipped and burnt CPUs are considered physically damaged and are not eligible for replacement or refund.

*\tProducts that are defective and/or DOA (Damaged on Arrival) and/or the seal of included software is broken, can only be returned for repair / replacement. Googlegear will not honor requests for exchanges under any circumstances.

• Reply 2 of 7
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i don't understand their reasoning for not accepting the item...

i would definitely talk to your CC company. they are usually good about refunds and they will just charge the merchant. at that point, the merchant can press charges but it doesn't look like they have a leg to stand on
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

i don't understand their reasoning for not accepting the item...

i would definitely talk to your CC company. they are usually good about refunds and they will just charge the merchant. at that point, the merchant can press charges but it doesn't look like they have a leg to stand on

I was under the impression that they can't really press charges because I have returned the item to them. I am just asking for the refund and/or exchange that they owe me. I requested the return the day after I received the item so there is no way their 15 day policy could even limit me. I don't think my credit card cares what their site says. It protects me against a product being DOA. Basically, just because you build your site and put a disclaimer on it, you can't hide behind it. I could build a site like their's with a disclaimer that no returns for this item are accepted but when they ship me a broken product, things change I would think.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I would definitely file a dispute for that charge with your credit card company.

There's no way you can be expected to pay for defective goods.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I've never had to return anything to GoogleGear, so I've never had a bad experience with them. I primarily used GoogleGear and NewEgg when I built my PC last spring.

Why return the CPU to GoogleGear? If it was a retail boxed CPU, you should have sent it straight to Intel and bypassed GoogleGear altogether.

Hopefully you didn't buy an OEM CPU, especially an Intel one. Intel's retail boxed products are generally priced as low as their OEM counterparts, usually no more than $5 more...and that includes a good heatsink+fan.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I've never had to return anything to GoogleGear, so I've never had a bad experience with them. I primarily used GoogleGear and NewEgg when I built my PC last spring.

Why return the CPU to GoogleGear? If it was a retail boxed CPU, you should have sent it straight to Intel and bypassed GoogleGear altogether.

Hopefully you didn't buy an OEM CPU, especially an Intel one. Intel's retail boxed products are generally priced as low as their OEM counterparts, usually no more than $5 more...and that includes a good heatsink+fan.

I don't see why I would originally jump to Intel with this. I understand that this is another option for me but if I had only had it for 1 day then why not go back to the place you bought it from?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpp1cd

I don't see why I would originally jump to Intel with this. I understand that this is another option for me but if I had only had it for 1 day then why not go back to the place you bought it from?

Because you're jumping through an extra hoop when you can just go straight to the source. That CPU is eventually going back to Intel anyway, why not send it back to them yourself?

Intel boxed CPUs carry 3-year warranties, and being a large corporation they are bound to be more forgiving than a single online reseller.