When Will Technology Job Migration Result In Violence?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A story on CNN prompted me to post this topic. I started thinking about it when it started being discussed in InfoWeek, but the debut of the topic on a public news site means that the issue is building to a head. I asked a friend of mine in the IT biz and he said it's the #1 hot topic in his circles. Here goes:

The biggest news story in the IT industry is the migration of jobs to places like India and poor Asiatic States. How long will it be before a technology worker (who is training their replacement) goes out of control and brings violence to the workplace? How are the tech companies preparing themselves for this potential tragedy? How many "how could this have been prevented" stories will run on network news stories in the aftermath of such a tragedy? What could they do to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I'm surprised it hasnt happened already. I presume its because they are white collar workers not as likely to commit violence. I personally wouldnt mind seeing some CEO who has shipped jobs overseas getting the living crap kicked out of him. Actually it would make my day.........................

Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

A story on CNN prompted me to post this topic. I started thinking about it when it started being discussed in InfoWeek, but the debut of the topic on a public news site means that the issue is building to a head. I asked a friend of mine in the IT biz and he said it's the #1 hot topic in his circles. Here goes:

The biggest news story in the IT industry is the migration of jobs to places like India and poor Asiatic States. How long will it be before a technology worker (who is training their replacement) goes out of control and brings violence to the workplace? How are the tech companies preparing themselves for this potential tragedy? How many "how could this have been prevented" stories will run on network news stories in the aftermath of such a tragedy? What could they do to prevent this from happening?

• Reply 2 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Not to be rude, but many of these folks engineered their own demise. Alot of tech people I wouldn't even call white collar. They just help install Microsoft solutions and many learn as they go. Likewise I wouldn't consider call tech support centers and things of that nature white collar.

I don't see Japan pushing all sorts of tech jobs overseas. Their software industry is very different than ours though. When American technology gets focused back on quality, and not implementing shoddy solutions that then require expensive support contracts, then the money and success will return. Instead we have the RIAA, patent and licensing wars, no profits or no dividends (Microsoft for example sitting on over 40 BILLION of reserves) and other such nonsense.

Nick
  • Reply 3 of 10
    They are white collar because they are knowledge oriented jobs. Japan's CEO's would never ship those jobs overseas because they generally dont act as ruthlessly as American CEOs. Japanese CEOs can only earn a certain amount greater than the average worker, unlike the US where CEOs reward themselves for laying off workers, and try to earn as much as possible irregardless of employee salaries. Man, Im starting to sound like a liberal.

Basically Im disgusted with the business practices of American companies and the assholes that run them........................

Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Not to be rude, but many of these folks engineered their own demise. Alot of tech people I wouldn't even call white collar. They just help install Microsoft solutions and many learn as they go. Likewise I wouldn't consider call tech support centers and things of that nature white collar.

I don't see Japan pushing all sorts of tech jobs overseas. Their software industry is very different than ours though. When American technology gets focused back on quality, and not implementing shoddy solutions that then require expensive support contracts, then the money and success will return. Instead we have the RIAA, patent and licensing wars, no profits or no dividends (Microsoft for example sitting on over 40 BILLION of reserves) and other such nonsense.

Nick

• Reply 4 of 10
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

They are white collar because they are knowledge oriented jobs. Japan's CEO's would never ship those jobs overseas because they generally dont act as ruthlessly as American CEOs. Japanese CEOs can only earn a certain amount greater than the average worker, unlike the US where CEOs reward themselves for laying off workers, and try to earn as much as possible irregardless of employee salaries. Man, Im starting to sound like a liberal.

Basically Im disgusted with the business practices of American companies and the assholes that run them........................

You seriously consider some script reading kiddie at a tech support center to be a knowledge oriented job?

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 10
    >You seriously consider some script reading kiddie at a tech support center to be a knowledge oriented job?

Nick<

I consider most IT jobs knowledge oriented. I know they arent blue collar jobs...........................................
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Nick

I agree. Business in America needs to shape up. How to accomplish that is another story entirely.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I think some of you are missing the point of who's being RIF'd.

It's not the Help Desk personnel it's Certified Engineers and Net Admins. It's Programmers and other highly trained staff. We can all laugh but there's really not much that can't be outsourced. Think about your own job. Is it a must that you do it or can some person in China or India do it for far cheaper?

Japan is feeling a HUGE crunch from China and India. Look at their economy..they cannot compete with Billions of workers and their respective lower salaries. It's a viscious cycle. Americas economy is based on it's citizens spending money. When that stops we hurt and losing jobs causes people to freez e their spending.

Folks we may have one of the shortest reign as a Superpower. I see such weakness in this country it's mindboggling.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think some of you are missing the point of who's being RIF'd.

It's not the Help Desk personnel it's Certified Engineers and Net Admins. It's Programmers and other highly trained staff. We can all laugh but there's really not much that can't be outsourced. Think about your own job. Is it a must that you do it or can some person in China or India do it for far cheaper?

Japan is feeling a HUGE crunch from China and India. Look at their economy..they cannot compete with Billions of workers and their respective lower salaries. It's a viscious cycle. Americas economy is based on it's citizens spending money. When that stops we hurt and losing jobs causes people to freez e their spending.

Folks we may have one of the shortest reign as a Superpower. I see such weakness in this country it's mindboggling.

Exactly. The problem is nobody, except latinos, protests anymore. There are no organized protests and there really should be. This country is going to be in sad shape in a few years with manufacturing and IT jobs going overseas and a continued huge influx of cheap labor immigrants. The middle class is shrinking while the underclass is growing. There will be less money for all the new schools needed and unemployment or underemployment will be a big problem. Not to mention all the ills caused by our ridiculously high immigration numbers-just look at California. That is the rest of the US in a microcosm. ....................................
  • Reply 9 of 10
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What are you going to do, create tariffs on contract work outside the US? While high tech and the global economy levels the playing field for most of the population, it actually creates a bigger gap between the truly filthy rich and everyone else.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

What are you going to do, create tariffs on contract work outside the US? While high tech and the global economy levels the playing field for most of the population, it actually creates a bigger gap between the truly filthy rich and everyone else.

I would ban the replacement of American workers with workers outside the country