Which Video Camera should I get?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi Everyone,

I want to invest in a video camera - video or digital, that I can use to create movies in iMovie and hopefully eventually with Final Cut Pro. Can anyone suggest a modestly priced camera that is not intended for pro use but is still good for the casual user?

Thanks,

-james

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rbfoyerbfoye Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by delve83

Hi Everyone,

I want to invest in a video camera - video or digital, that I can use to create movies in iMovie and hopefully eventually with Final Cut Pro. Can anyone suggest a modestly priced camera that is not intended for pro use but is still good for the casual user?

Thanks,

-james

Easy. Get a Canon - as good technology as anyone and great Apple compatability.

Depending on money you want to spend:

ZR-60, $499

ZR-70, $699

Optura, $899

Recommend Optura unless on tight budget.

See this:

http://www.apple.com/digitalhub/buy/movies.html
  • Reply 2 of 9
    rbfoyerbfoye Posts: 77member
    Quote:

Originally posted by delve83

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

-james

Also, no matter what, goes without saying to make sure it has firewire.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'd also recomend the Cannons.

I use and older ZR45 and am very pleased.

just plug the FW into the computer and up pops iMovie all ready to start working with it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rbfoye

Easy. Get a Canon - as good technology as anyone and great Apple compatability.

I like the cooler color temperatures in the Sonys...and their image stabilization rocks Canon's hard. Canon wins on bang for the buck, but Sony wins in features and A/V quality.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nx7oenx7oe Posts: 198member
    My Best Experience Has been with JVC

Look into those becuse they tend to have MUCH better quality than Cannons or Sony's
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

Look into those becuse they tend to have MUCH better quality than Cannons or Sony's

That's a pretty bold statement. Canon and Sony practically own the video market.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Canon 10D or Nikon D2H
  • Reply 8 of 9
    You can't go wrong with a Sony VX1000 or 2000. You probably see footage shot with these cameras every day on TV.

They're not specifically broadcast quality, but try telling broadcasters that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by nx7oe

Ehh? my experience with JVC has been a bad one:

Old camcorder that scewed the video into color negative static. That was weird. Weirder still that after two attempts to repair it, it wouldn't work. Then it leaked for some reason.

For a film prject last year in comm. tech class, we used a friend's JVC $800 DV camcorder. The power adapter shattered quite easily and the quality was equal to that of webcam. I don't know if it was iMovie or the camcorder, but when exporting back to te camcorder the audio and video went way out of sync after a while, and then resynced at some point. Weird.

My JVC VCR was possessed by a monaurally-inclined demon that wouldn't allow stereo to be sustained for more than a few seconds at a time. It would flicker between the two, effectively ruining anything you were watching on the thing. ****ing worthless ****ing piece of ****ing shit, the ****ers at that ****ing company put the **** **** ****ing demon in my ****ing **** VCR, I ****ing know their devious creation. ****ing ****?

But Canon is very good I can assure and I hear Sony is a good make. Boycott JVC.