InactionMan VS Raccoon. ...Raccoon Wins.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Damn raccoon has decided that I have the tastiest garbage in town. I've got a wood garage that he bored a hole through and now feasts nightly on the remnants of my Kraft Dinner and coffee grinds.

I've tried throwing ammonia soaked rags in the garbage can, I've tried using bungie cords, I even strung the garbage can to the rafters of the garage. Nothing. Every morning I wake and feel the shame of losing to a giant rodent.

Last night I heard the little bugger in there again and decided to confront him to ask him why he thought my garbage was so much tastier than everyone else's. So I stood in wait with a flashlight in one hand and my left hiking boot in the other. The flashlight was off because well the element of surprise and stuff, when I turned it on the raccoon was sitting five feet in front of me staring me down.

Needless to say, I screamed, dropped both the boot and the flashlight and ran inside to the womb-like comfort of AppleInsider. But AI isn't enough this time, I need to rid myself of this problem.

So, how the hell do I defeat this beast?

He's in there right now. I can hear him.........quietly laughing at me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Damn raccoon has decided that I have the tastiest garbage in town. I've got a wood garage that he bored a hole through and now feasts nightly on the remnants of my Kraft Dinner and coffee grinds.

I've tried throwing ammonia soaked rags in the garbage can, I've tried using bungie cords, I even strung the garbage can to the rafters of the garage. Nothing. Every morning I wake and feel the shame of losing to a giant rodent.

Last night I heard the little bugger in there again and decided to confront him to ask him why he thought my garbage was so much tastier than everyone else's. So I stood in wait with a flashlight in one hand and my left hiking boot in the other. The flashlight was off because well the element of surprise and stuff, when I turned it on the raccoon was sitting five feet in front of me staring me down.

He's in there right now. I can hear him.........quietly laughing at me.

We had a racoon come into our backyard and my brother had to beat it off with some golf clubs. Do you have a BB gun. That's what I armed myself with, but never got the chance to shoot the bugger because once my dad put up a fence he never came back.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Air rifle? Or a bat would be my choice. But if you want to listen to all those PEDA people, stop up the hole with something more solid like plexy glass or something.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

But if you want to listen to all those PEDA people...

They'd probably tell ya that feeding garbage to a racoon is inhumane and constitutes animal cruelty, and you should be thrown in jail. Because of that, I wouldn't listen to any PETA people.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Has the UN banned the use of Napalm against racoons?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Has the UN banned the use of Napalm against racoons?

No, but I think bunge and PETA have. Just kidding, bunge.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

Posion or a gun.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Triangle Man vs. Universe Man... Triangle wins.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Shotgun.

Racoons, although they have cute hands and a neat mask, are vile creatures which spread rabies - don't shed a tear.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Fantastic first post.

I recommend a gun. Kraft Dinner? You are Canadian?

Canada has more guns than trees. Shoot the son of a bitch and move on.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

If it helps ease your shame, you haven't been bested by a mere rodent. Raccoons are members not of the order Rodentia, but of the order Carnivora. Yes, you can hold your head high and say that your latest can of whoop-ass has been delivered to you by a fearsome carnivore!
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Hmmm, I do have an air rifle at the cottage that we use on red squirrels and bats that get in the cottage at night. I think using it in Toronto may not be the best idea. My neighbourghs might find it odd seeing me creeping around my backyard with a flashlight taped to the barrel of an air rifle.

Poison sounds good, but not kill-him-poison. Perhaps poison that makes him feel a bit quesey. What do I use? Rat poison? That probably wouldn't kill him because as far as I know Raccoons can puke so the wouldn't dehydrate the way rats would.

And indeed I am Canadian and like all good canucks I eat KD atleast twice a week.

If nothing else works I will have to napalm his ass.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    tactical nuclear strike. it's the only way to be sure.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Get a metal garbage can. Hook a car battery up to it. Have a fire extinguisher ready in case his hair catches fire and jumps to the rafters of your garage.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    buy some bear or wolf urine, and pour it on your garbage and or around your garage. should scare the living shit out of the little bastard.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

buy some bear or wolf urine, and pour it on your garbage and or around your garage. should scare the living shit out of the little bastard.

The hard part will be getting the bear to stand still while you hold the jar.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    We had a raccoon feasting regularly on our garbage until about 6 weeks ago. It would jump on the top of the can and tip it over. I guess the lid would pop off when it hit then ground?then it would smorgasbord.

I bought a bigger less-tippable garbage can - a big strong plastic one on wheels - with a lockable lid and put it in a spot where it was hard for him to jump down on it. That worked. I suppose that there might still be a way for the critter to get into it, but it would be pretty hard. In any case, making it much harder is all I really need: with all the bother to get into our garbage, the racoon just moves on and gets at the garbage of a neighbour.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Fantastic first post.

I recommend a gun. Kraft Dinner? You are Canadian?

Canada has more guns than trees. Shoot the son of a bitch and move on.

More guns per capita than the US and yet less gun deaths per capita than the US. Gee, maybe the problem is societal and less about the shiny metal death stick.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

More guns per capita than the US and yet less gun deaths per capita than the US. Gee, maybe the problem is societal and less about the shiny metal death stick.

This statistic, often quoted, is misleading. Most guns in Canada are hunting rifles. And even ownership of these, while common - especially in rural areas - is still subject to controls. What Canada does not have, for all intents and purposes, is general private ownership of handguns. These shiny metal 'mini' death sticks are the big problem.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Needless to say, I screamed, dropped both the boot and the flashlight and ran inside to the womb-like comfort of AppleInsider.

Sorry, but that was too much! Based on your location "the big smoke", you must also be from Toronto. I know the feeling, I've met some myself.

Yeah, we city folk are a bunch of yellow belly cowards when it comes to wildlife!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Audiopollution, SBOL, I've just made it up in your honour. It stands for spray beer out loud. Thanks man.