Wasn't there a Mac Emulator for the PC? What was it called?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm trying to remember the name of this app to make a point to some people who are bashing Macs. I'll admit, I got sucked into this one, but these guys are just being ridiculous.

Anyways, one of there points was that noone would ever make a Mac emulator for the PC but since VPC exists it proves that the Mac can't by w/ Windows. So what was the name of the Max Emulator (I know it was sys 7 or somthing) and is it still available?

Sorry for being petty...Ihaven't been sucked in to one of these 'us vs them' things for a while

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

I'm trying to remember the name of this app to make a point to some people who are bashing Macs. I'll admit, I got sucked into this one, but these guys are just being ridiculous.

Anyways, one of there points was that noone would ever make a Mac emulator for the PC but since VPC exists it proves that the Mac can't by w/ Windows. So what was the name of the Max Emulator (I know it was sys 7 or somthing) and is it still available?

Sorry for being petty...Ihaven't been sucked in to one of these 'us vs them' things for a while

Macs are my life. Tell me who these people are and I will eliminate them for you.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Are you sure there are some?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kedakeda Posts: 722member

They are being picked of...one by one. The PC guys have resorted to calling Mac users liberals and hippies. LOL.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure there was an emulator.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

They are being picked of...one by one. The PC guys have resorted to calling Mac users liberals and hippies. LOL.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure there was an emulator.

Basilisk
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I heard about a mac emulator for the Amiga way back when. That was only really possible because Amigas used the same motorolla chipset so emulation was easier. I think it could only do a very basic mac anyway.

AFAIK there are no Mac emulators for PC, certainly no good ones. This is partly because there is no incentive (if you want a Mac, you want it for the cool hardware and OS, not the software), and partly because emulating one of the beautiful, simple, elegant PPC chipsets on an ugly bloated intel eletric heating element is generally quite hard. Okay so I'm a little biassed but there are real reasons for this. The main one is the question of endianess. Basically macs are big endian and pc's are little endian (that may well be the wrong way round). This has to do with the order in which the bytes for multi-byte chunks of data are stored. PPCs can work in either mode, making them great for emulating intel chips, but intel chips only work the one way (the opposite way to a mac), making the already tricky task of emulating the ppc even harder.

In regard to the opinions of your mates, it should be perfectly obvious even to them that emulators are almost universally designed for emulating ancient obsolete hardware on modern machines so that people can use a few games or apps that they can't live without even though the platform on which it runs has become too outdated to be of practical value. They should perhaps then reconsider why it is that there is a PC emulator for macintoshes but not the other way round.

Socrates
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Basilisk emulates a 68K Mac; there is no PowerPC emulator. There was some PowerPC emulator on x86 noise form www.emulators.com but it looks like vapourware (last mention: MacHack 2001!)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Windows didn't win by being "better" have them watch PIrates of Silicon Valley. Ask them if they are a virgin.

There is Basilisk II and Softmac, and there is an app called Executor that reverse engineered System 7 for decent compatibility. I actually used it, it was ok. However there are no PPC emulators. No OS X for you! PCs look so pathetic compared to a G5 with Jaguar or Panther now I don't even attempt to have a debate anymore. I just say read up on the G5 then ask me about it if you have more questions. I wish Sears still sold Macs (I work there now.) I feel horrid selling Compaqs. One customer bought a new PC because there old one got a virus. What am I going to do, tell them to go to ProCam and buy a Mac? Though it's only 2% commission... Still it'd be nice to have an iBook to browse with when no one's there instead of a Win2000 Terminal box. It crashes. And IE is no match for Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

I heard about a mac emulator for the Amiga way back when. That was only really possible because Amigas used the same motorolla chipset so emulation was easier. I think it could only do a very basic mac anyway.

That was Emplant (which was a Zorro card), and it worked pretty well - I ran the latest System at the time.

There are a few Mac emulators for PC but none of the emulate a PowerPC.