Dead Refurb eMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My friend took delivery today of a refurb eMac installed with extra RAM.

However, on booting it up and playing with it for a while he kept seeing the dialog telling you to reboot your computer.

When I cam round the dialog was coming up frequently, eventually I couldn't get past the Apple logo on startup.

So I tried to re-install Mac OS X from the CD, choosing the third option, to wipe the disk and start over again, but the computer crashed during installation.

As it was a refurb I suspected something may have got through the checks? It's not an Apple refurb he got it from Cancom who in the past have been very good.

Their reputation in my eyes was upheld by a speedy response to an email with a phone call asking for my friend to descibe what was happening and said they will pick up the computer tomorrow.

I suspect it must be a hardware fault seeing as though the computer wouldn't even boot up.

I took notes while I was looking at the computer:

Quote:

Refurb eMac with extra 512MB installed.

Crashes upon startup with "you need to restart your computer" dialog box. Error code at bottom FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF, previously was crashing when booted with same dialog but different error code, was unable to see this for myself.

Tried to boot from CD "Mac OS X Install CD 1" showed up on startup with alt key held down. installer crashed with error 0.

attempted to re-install OS X, failed.installer hung with 37 mins remaining

I hope cancom will fix my friends mac quickly, as it's his first and he is a 'switcher'.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    For sure, send it back. This might belong in GD.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Sounds like a kernel panic, and since it happens with a CD, sounds like the RAM is bad. Should be a quick fix if the company has it picked up and replaces the RAM.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Sounds like a kernel panic, and since it happens with a CD, sounds like the RAM is bad. Should be a quick fix if the company has it picked up and replaces the RAM.

doesn't a load of text come up on screen after a kernel panic though? A friend also suggested bad RAM, although I have no experience of what would happen if that is the case.

Anyhow the computer was taken back today, hopefully cancom will provide a detailed report