Virtual PC 6.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I hear it's faster. But does it ****ing work on a PowerBook 12" with Ethernet!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I hear it's faster. But does it ****ing work on a PowerBook 12" with Ethernet!!!!!

Yeah What Aquatic wrote..

flick
  • Reply 2 of 13
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Hmm, that's interesting. I had read that 6.0 and 6.1 were exactly the same, but that the "upgrade" was only for the purposes of rebranding it as a Microsoft product and migrating it into Microsoft support stuff.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    They actually fixed a few bugs. It was mostly a rebranding, though.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes it is rebranding but some people are saying it's Snappier.? I'll install it later today (go VersionTracker guinea pigs!)
  • Reply 5 of 13
    rara Posts: 623member
    Running the installer makes you quit all open apps.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Doesn't seem faster to me, and doesn't correct a screen redraw bug. No surprises.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Rulz #1: If it ain't broke.. don't fix it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Woo hoo! The fix for the bug I reported made it.

I'm the one who reported the Java arc drawing problem mentioned in the list of fixed bugs. It turned out to be a floating point problem. I've had the bug fix for a while myself (they signed me up to do some beta testing), but when Microsoft bought out VPC, the whole user beta testing program was dropped, so I've been wondering if my bug might have gotten lost in the shuffle.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    So it's official: VPC 6.1 won't run on the G5. From MacInTouch:

Quote:

Melissa Chambers, from Microsoft's PR company, followed up on compatibility issues with Virtual PC and Apple's upcoming Power Mac G5:

We wanted to respond to yesterday's mention of the VPC6 compatibility problems with the G5.

_ Virtual PC for Mac version 6.1 currently will not run on the new G5 machines. The customer will receive an error message letting them know that Virtual PC does not support the CPU in their Macintosh. The dialogue allows them to click directly to the Virtual PC Web site for more information. We are in the initial stages of testing and evaluating Virtual PC version 6.1 on the new G5s and will keep the web site updated with new information as it becomes available.

At least they're admiting a problem. Too bad they didn't announce an estimated ship date for a patch. Let the conspiracy thinking begin !
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Montreal eh! I'm going back there in two weeks with college budz!

I would think compatibility with hardware release almost half a year ago would be more important. Does anyone know how I can get my PowerBook G4 12" with VPC 6 and Win 2000 on the Internet with Ethernet (the only way to access it for me.) I tried everything, dicking around with settings in Windows and OS X and trying all different Networking Scripts in the Script menu. Thanks for any help!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Installed the 6.1 then aftern naming my PC on the net diecided to go back to change it. Bad idea. The installer hung and actually locked up OS X (first time ever for me) started again. XP then request the serial number, but the screwed up VP only supported the mouse not the keyboard so I cound not give the serial number.. Ended up reinstalling the whole thing, now it works

I will not install the 6.1 update

I will not install the 27 service packs and patches that XP asks for
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Haha they ask for a serial again and just pressing the close button on the window bypasses it. MS security. Good thing the Homeland Security Department knows what they're doing.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I found it hilarious that after upgrading to 6.1 and restarting Windoze that I got the famous:

"This program has performed an illegal operation....."

Bill Gates as officially arrived in Virtual PC!