How do yoy set up a B&W for a Wireless network?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I currently have a linksy wireless network set up at home and I want to add my old Blue and White to the network wirelessly. Does anyone know of any mac wireless pci cards or usb cards that will work?

The DSL Modem, Firewall, and Linksy wireless router/switch is in a different room with a pc hooked up by an ethernet cable to the router. I use my Ti-book for web stuff now but want to get the B&W on line as well without running cable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-tink

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    There are pci cards for wireless. I had one in mine, but the name slips my memory...sorry
  • Reply 2 of 7
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    So you had a wireless pci card in an earlier mac?

I was under the impression there were no pci wireless cards for desktops. The newer macs can use airport extreme cards but I was thinking the pci cards lacked mac drivers.

I've contacted a few mac stores and no one seemed to know about mac pci cards and someone told me they don't have drivers.

In any-case that's why I thought I'd through this question out there.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jfruhjfruh Posts: 34member
    I haven't actually done it yet, but I've been told elsewhere that I can use a PCI 802.11g card in my G4 (it's not airport extreme ready, so I'd be stuck with a 802.11b airport card if I wanted to go that route). The card should work seamlessly with Apple's Airport software. Here's one that explicitly says that it works with Macs w/PCI slots:

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/.../wlipcig54.php

Here's one that doesn't advertise Mac support, but I've been told in other forums that it should work:

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3538484

Hope this helps.

jf
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jfruh

Thanks!

I'll check em out!

-tink
  • Reply 5 of 7
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    You might also consider the Linksys WET-11 wireless bridge. It's a small external box that connects via your Ethernet port. It doesn't use drivers and is configured using your browser. Since it is external, you can move it around for best reception and easily move it to another computer (Mac or PC) or networkable device like a game console.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    Almost positive this is the card I had in my B&W G3 400 a few years back. It worked in OS 9 flawlessly for me.

Not sure about OS X, but it worked for 9. It wasn't possible to set up my airport network through this card, so i used my notebook for setting up, but it had no issues once the network was up. Finding and connecting to it.

http://www2.dealtime.com/xPO-Farallon_SkyLINE_PN476_BDL
  • Reply 7 of 7
    From a drought of options comes the cool rain.

-tink