What would you do?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am asking the advice of the most intelligent Mac forum out there. I am selling my Powerbook G4 667 VGA. I was hoping to upgrade to a 1 Ghz TiBook or a new one when they come out, if they ever do. It has 1 GB RAM, a 48GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive, and Airport card. It is in relatively great condition. It no longer has warranty, but has the BookEndz docking station, Kensington Pocketmouse pro with retractable cord, RoadTools Podium Cool Pad Traveler, an extra battery, and Mac 10.2 discs included in the package. I have an offer on the table for $1500. First, is this reasonable? It is currently on ebay as well so I am gonna see what I can get for it there. Should I buy a 12 incher? Also, someone in my town has a 15" 867Mhz with 60GB Hard Drive and 256MB RAM with Airport card for sale for $1800. I'm thinking about selling mine for the $1500, then throwing that and another 300 for the 867. How does that sound? I just use it for internet, email, taking notes in class, light Final Cut and Photoshop work, and would like to use it for games since the 16MB graphic card on my current one isn't enough for some good gaming. What should I do...I leave the floor open to you guys and gals. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    That's a tricky decision. It all comes down to the size of the screen you want. If you really want the 15" screen, wait. However, this will probably mean you will be spending an extra $500, because at the current price points, the 15"er is $2000, minimun. Personally, I would go for the 15" that other guy is selling. What optical drive does it have?

As for how much to sell the your PB, I have absolutely no idea.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    His is a week old 867 15" Combo. I have a superdrive on my Powermac, so that's not a big deal. Thanks though CubeDude
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Sell your Ti, and buy the new 15 AluBook when it comes out. The radeon 9000 in the Tibook isn't bad, but the 9600 in the AluBook when it comes out will rule, and will likely have 64MB ram(?). All at the same price point, maybe less, plus updated mb and faster processor.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    That's what I'm thinking...hopefully it comes out before class starts in September
  • Reply 5 of 9
    In regards to selling price, you could get a quote from www.powermax.com, they will buy it from you too, but if you don't want to sell it to them, you could still just get the quote. and that will give you a good idea of where to go from there.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

at the current price points, the 15"er is $2000, minimun.

$1800 with the edu discount, which I assume he qualifies for due to the "taking notes in class" comment.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Indeed I do qualify for the edu discount, but that doesn't mean I am excluded from sales tax. The way I figure, the one a guy at our cross-town rival university who is selling his has the 60GB drive and an Airport Card, that's another $100 on top of the $1799 edu, plus another 6% sales tax. Grand total is somewhere around 2 grand. I am going to look at the TiBook tomorrow to check for scratches, dead pixels, etc. I might wait until Wednesday to see if these August 18/19th rumors are true. Oh and Powermax quoted me a lousy $1150.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Let's see...

Powerbook G4 667 VGA

1 GB RAM

48GB Hard Drive

Combo Drive

Airport card

BookEndz docking station

Kensington Pocketmouse pro with retractable cord

RoadTools Podium Cool Pad Traveler

extra battery

Mac 10.2

$1,500

Versus...

15" 867Mhz

256MB RAM

60GB Hard Drive

Airport card

$1800

So he has you beat in Mhz. Is it that much faster?

His HD is a bit bigger as well. Not by much though.

RAM. You have 1 GB he has 256MB. How much is that worth alone?

Are all the items you list with yours going when you sell it?

Unless his is noticeably faster then yours. I say keep yours. $1,500 for what you have sounds underpriced. Look around eBay and see what a Powerbook like yours sold for.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Indeed I do qualify for the edu discount, but that doesn't mean I am excluded from sales tax. The way I figure, the one a guy at our cross-town rival university who is selling his has the 60GB drive and an Airport Card, that's another $100 on top of the $1799 edu, plus another 6% sales tax. Grand total is somewhere around 2 grand. I am going to look at the TiBook tomorrow to check for scratches, dead pixels, etc. I might wait until Wednesday to see if these August 18/19th rumors are true. Oh and Powermax quoted me a lousy $1150.

Most people on eBay aren't smart enough to know the difference. Sell it for $1400.