Some tips and questions from and for new users

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, here are some more questions and tips from a new powerbook user. Perhaps this can help other possible switchers to switch to the right side.

I've posted this in the Mac OSX forum, I hope that's the right place.

HIDDEN FILES:

How can I see them? I use the Freeware "ShowAll" but it doesn't work.

INTERNET:

USB-dsl modems will NOT work. Mine even has a driver for MacOS, but it doesn't install.

You'll certainly love Versiontracker.com

WINDOWS/MAC NETWORK:

Works without any problems after I configured some things:

Disable the WinXP integrated firewall and configure any other firewall to trust your mac's IP-adress.

Use IP-adresses like 192.168.1.x (works best)

Don't use the Windows-Network-wizard while your mac is connected, it may cause a kernel panic.

Create Network Places for your Macs on the Windows Machines, this way the access to the mac's shared files is faster.

Everytime I log in to a Windows machine with Samba I have to write my username. Is there a way to log in automatically (my username is allready in the keychain and I use no password)?

Connect all your printers (if possible) to one machine.

SPEED (12" POWERBOOK):

The OS feels quite snappy even with 256MB Ram (processor is set to highest performance).

Virtual PC6 is fast enough for casual use of AutoCAD and enough for old games like Command&conquer red alert.

Games like Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Unreal Tournament 2003 and Nascar 2003 are very well playable.

SOFTWARE YOU NEED:

Mplayer OSX; GraphicConverter; Safari; poisoned (best p2p client ever)

ISIGHT:

Has anybody tried to connect his isight to a windows-box? I've read someone has tried it, but with a bad image-quality.

Will I be able to record videos to disk in best resolution and at 30fps with my 12" powerbook? On the apple-site they say I'd need at least a dual 800. that's the double from what I have.

I have only 128kb/s upstream (theoreticaly; in reality it's less) (512kb/s downstream). does this mean I can't really use isight?

PANTHER:

will the software that came bundled with my powerbook (graphicconverter etc) work on panther, or do I have to buy all those programs again?

Will Xcode (the new developer-program) be freeware or included in panther?

Will the performance of isight be better on panther (allowing me to use full resolution at 30 fps)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    First of all, use http://macupdate.com instead of versiontracker.

1.) To see hidden files, download TinkerTool.

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html

2.) What model of modem do you have?

3.) Most apps will probably work on Panther(not sure on this), and those that need updates will probably be provided free to registered users.

4.) xcode will be included will the ADC. Sign up for the Online membership, because it's free and gets you the Dev Tools.

5.) Not sure.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Even the non-paying ADC members can download XCode (when it comes out)? Cool.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Nothing hinders developers like making them pay for the tools that they need.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

INTERNET:

USB-dsl modems will NOT work. Mine even has a driver for MacOS, but it doesn't install.

Mine works fine. It's a ZyXEL Prestige 630-11
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I use an "DynaMiTe USB Modem" from Alcatel (it is from my ISP), but I am not sure if this is only the name my ISP calls it.

Thanks for the link to thinkertool. works fine for me.