Samba and PowerPoint

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Samba and PowerPoint

I have an OS X Server 10.2.6 with Samba. I have a share point that is used by PCs (Win XP, with Office 2K) and Macs (OS 9 with Office 2001).

On the share point I have a few PowerPoint files.

Scenario:

When a Mac user opens a PowerPoint file first, and then a PC user tries to open it at the same time, the PC user gets a warning "This file is currenty being modifed by..." This is a good thing. Makes sense...

BUT:

When a PC user opens a PowerPoint slide first, and then a Mac user tries to open it at the same time, the Mac user gets NO warning. The file *opens* and both users are working and saving at the SAME time. The file is then turned into garbage. FOOBAR!

I haven't tried OS X and Office v. X yet. Any ideas?

Any ideas on what to do? Any way to make sure people know when a file is in use?

Is this a filesystem problem? An Application problem? and OS problem? or a samba problem? Right now it's a BIG problem! Do I blame Apple, Microsoft or Samba? I know this has to deal with file locking. But thats all I know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Yup, OS X behaves the same way as OS 9. If the file is already open on a PC, OS X gets NO warning. But if OS X opens the file first, the PC DOES gets a warning when trying to open the same file.