Upgrading to Final Cut Pro 4 question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I ordered up Final Cut Express with my new G5. I got the software about a week ago and am running it on an older Mac that I am getting ready to sell. Got it for $99 due to the special Apple is currently running.

I have seen the $699 upgrade at the Apple Store here in Houston.

Does Express have to be installed in order to install the FCP 4 upgrade or do you need to just the serial number?

I have a friend that has a Mac and may sell my Express copy to him but need to know the answer to the above just in case I should ever have to reinstall anything.

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with FCP upgrades in the past and how they work.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I haven't actually done this, but there is no good reason why the older FCPExpress CD would be needed, nor would it need to be installed. It seems like more of a competitive upgrade for FCPExpress users.

But who knows, Apple does weird stuff sometimes...
  • Reply 2 of 4
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Guess I might need to just try it.

The upgrade is 700 bucks. I got Express for 100 bucks.

Thats 800 bucks. I can sell express to a buddy for a good 200 or so. Hell, he still saves.

FCP 4 now comes to 600 bucks. Thats 400 bucks savings.

Not bad I guess.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I think it's just the same as the full retail version. They may check out your ownership of the FCE.

When I upgraded my After Effects Standard to Production Bundle. Adobe asked for my s/n and show them a proof. Then they sent me the "upgrade" package. It's basically the same as the full retail with a brand new s/n. I then sold my AE Standard to cover part of the upgrade cost

Oh by the way. Which G5 are you getting. I was told that on the Dual G5 99.5% of transitions in FCP are REALTIME. That would be nice
  • Reply 4 of 4
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    A dualie with a 9800 Pro baby! 8)