Mac clone help

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi, I'm a newbie here, but am wondering if someone can help me.

I have a SuperMac 600c. I am running OS 9.2.2 on it right now, and according to quite a few websites and people, it can run OS X, so I would like to upgrade it to OS X.

I have a proggie called Xpostfacto, which is supposed to be able to do that. It makes it possible to boot from and install it, however, everytime I try it, it hangs at startup and I have to P ram it to restart in Classic.

Can anyone help me figure out how to make it work.

Tnanks

jolhof

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Weclome to AI!

Mac OS 10.2 requires a G3 or newer CPU. The 600c SuperMacs, IIRC, use an older 603e CPU. I had the same problem trying to install Darwin 6 (the open source core of Mac OS 10.2) on a 6400.

I have a dim recollection of a 603e based clone that used socketed CPUs, allowing a better upgrade path than other budget machines. If a socketed 603e was replaced with a G3 (rather than both being on the board at once , as with L2 G3 upgrades, which don't work with Mac OS X) it might work. Can anyone else recall which Mac clone this was and if it could take regular PowerMac ZIF upgrades?

Edit: Mac OS 10.1 does work on a 603e processors, but you will be able to install it on your Mac clone using XPostFacto but not everything will work (SCSI and sound might not work).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I have several older (8600, 8500) Macs running OSX, but they have all been upgraded to G3/4s and had a graphics card added. With these additions, they work pretty well. You can do this for under $500.

But, I'd start thinking about a new Mac if I where you. I had no choice but to take the upgrade path w/these. Some were a real PITA to set up. and one is still flakey.