Premiere is now PC Only!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, farewell premiere. does anyone else have a worrying feeling about this? After all choice on a plaatform is a good thing right? I feel uncomfortable about a potential futur where mac machines made by apple only have software made by apple available. its bad enough at the moment with people complainign that you can't get software for macs (myth I know). I will miss premiere mainly becuase there are many tricks and techniques you can apply by integrating it with after effects and photoshop. FCP is not quite there yet.

With adobe claiming that since apple has fcp it is not worth a 3rd party trying to compete where does this leave other software? will Indesign be next? If Macromedia feel that director should be restructured to handle dvd production will this also be pc only becuase of DVDSP?

with the ongoing rumours about how apple seems to be alienating 3rd party biggies such as adobe, macromedia and microsoft things are worrying.

for me here at work its another nail in the coffin for keeping our macs. we have to replace our G4s soon - the IT dept is doing the usual pc thing of saying that pcs are cheaper. wait till they here that we'll have to also but licenses for FCP on top.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Welcome back to earth This is ooold news.

And btw. if Adobe can't stand competition then so be it.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Premiere is now PC-only?

Who cares? ;-)
  • Reply 3 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    With Final Cut...it just doesn't matter.

I was a bit worried at first, but then I realized that Apple had stolen the Mac video market, and Adobe had numbers to prove it.

Remember Adobe's CEO at the WWDC Stevenote? He was endorsing Photoshop's performance on the G5 quite convincingly, so I highly doubt that Adobe will drop all support for the Mac platform.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I never really cared for Premiere very much anyway. There are better options out there.

With that said, can't you continue to use the versions you have on any new Macs?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The sky is falling the sky is falling!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Even on the PC side a lot of people who are doing serious work are using Avid Express or any other apps BUT Premiere
  • Reply 7 of 7
    How does Final Cut Express compare to Premiere?