S.S. Republic Found

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Check this out. If you follow treasure hunts, this is a huge thing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Coooool I live this stuff. I saw a teevee show about one group that found something like a spanish ship full of silver. But because the price of silver is so low the cost of bringing it up couldn't pay for it. The only way they could make money on it was as a novelty collectors' item. But they had so many they could flood their own market and ruin the value. I guess you don't have that problem with gold.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    So how the hell does one get into the business of treasure hunting, sounds like you'd already have to be rich. A job I probably would have wanted myself to have as an adult when I was 6. What and adventure it would be to participate.

$180 million, holy bejesus, what is the overhead on that expedition? I'm thinking around 2 million.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I don't think the guys/gals that get into it are rich per se. I'd imagine that most are underwater salvage people. If you know about the wrecks then why not take a look?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Oops. I thought maybe they'd found a community of WWII Nazis and their offspring living in Argentina or something.

• Reply 5 of 5
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

originally posted by Moogs

Oops. I thought maybe they'd found a community of WWII Nazis and their offspring living in Argentina or something.

Me too.