establish an internet connection trough VPN

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I have to get to the internet through my VPN connection, to get the mail of my Uni-server. Anybody knows how to do this on my mac? At the moment I have to use Win XP. By the way, I can establish a VPN-connection, but I can't access the internet this way.

Also, how can I configure "Mail" to get mail through this connection, and not any open connection?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    FYI: it's super rediculously easy and built into internet connect. Just open internet connect, open a new vpn connection window, put in the server, your login/pass and hit connect.

Just set up mail as you normally would and it should connect fine as long as your are connected to the vpn server as stated above.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

FYI: it's super rediculously easy and built into internet connect. Just open internet connect, open a new vpn connection window, put in the server, your login/pass and hit connect.

Just set up mail as you normally would and it should connect fine as long as your are connected to the vpn server as stated above.

thanks, but I've allready done this. I can establish this connection without problems, but safari keeps saying that it can't connect to the server. The same error message appears when I open safari without any active internet connection.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

thanks, but I've allready done this. I can establish this connection without problems, but safari keeps saying that it can't connect to the server. The same error message appears when I open safari without any active internet connection.

If you are connceted to the vpn server, then it should be OK. I bet your university has some documentation about how to use vpn with them.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

If you are connceted to the vpn server, then it should be OK. I bet your university has some documentation about how to use vpn with them.

Yes, it should work. On WinXP it actually works. On my powerbook it doesn't. :-(

I've tried it again now, it doesn't even react to the connect button. it just stays blue.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Does the university have documentation? I don't know what to tell you other than to check with their instructions to find out what's not right. I don't know much about the different protocols, but maybe if they are using IPsec it's not compatible. Does anyone know?

If you did follow the instructions they provided and also parts of your UI aren't working properly, try repairing permissions in disk utility.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    odedhodedh Posts: 53member
    you need an app called PPTP-GUI if the VPN connection is PPTP as I suspect it is

look for it in versiontracker.com

in Jaguar you can only connect via VPN over an existing PPP conection

in Panther I think you can connect directly already but i'm not sure
  • Reply 7 of 7
    works fine now. It was a Server problem, not OSX.

Thank you anyway