Can Macmail perform this simple Outlook function?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here is the challenge:

I want to be able to look at an old email sent to me and immediately see what I wrote back in response to that email.

OUTLOOK EXPRESS has a "view reply" button that makes this very easy.

I cannot get Mac Mail to do the same thing.

Is that possible without poking through the entire SENT box? If not - Microsoft wins back a point in the MAC v. WINDOWS battle in my case. Oooh. I don't want that at all. I DO NOT WANT THAT AT ALL.

Thanks,

Freon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    In Panther's Mail.app, yes, you can do this. I don't know about Jaguar (read: I don't feel like rebooting now).
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cjoncjon Posts: 20member
    brad, how exactly does that feature work in panther?

cj
  • Reply 3 of 14
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    yeah how does this work in Panther, I would love this feature. I hate the stupid grouping of messages it's such a pain the way you click around.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    freonfreon Posts: 6member
    Exactly Inkhead. So I suppose Jaguar doesn't do it huh? Arrghhh. I hate finding things that Microsoft does that Mac doesn't. At least we will get it with Panther. The wait begins...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    In the Message Viewer window in the list itself is a little arrow icon by the message title. This is similar to the little green dot showing someone on iChat or a blue dot indicating an unread message. The arrow look similar to the orange snapback arrow in Safari. Click the arrow and it jumps to your reply.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Thank you very much Brad. You made my day.

Freon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    In Panther, you can view messages as threads. So it'd be a piece of cake to see your entire correspondence (your reply to the message, and the reply to your reply, and so on) in a moment.

As for Jaguar, there's no easy way AFAIK. I'd recommend making use of Mail's very fast search/filter field, though, instead of scrolling through hundreds of E-mails in your Sent folder.

Just narrow it down by title (re: title message) or to: the sender's name.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    like i said, thread in panther don't flow very well. They are akward. When you click on the top of the thread the message should show all the messages in the bottom pain instead of the list of them. It just feels hackish and not very comfortable at all.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Not in the bottom pain? Doesn't sound paneful to me.

I can't really comment 'til I try Panther Mail's threads out (my comments are based only on pictures from Apple's sneak peek and Brad's glorious Taj Majal of screenies) but just from looking.... I'm looking forward to them.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Sorry Brad -

I take it back. That unfortunately does not make my day. The arrow symbol on Jaguar does nothing. It only shows me that I have responded - not what my response actually says.

Back to being sad.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freon

Sorry Brad -

I take it back. That unfortunately does not make my day. The arrow symbol on Jaguar does nothing. It only shows me that I have responded - not what my response actually says.

Brad is talking about Mail in Panther, not Jaguar.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I realize that. It is just too bad that Jaguar does not do it as well. Good thing Panther has it squared away.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Freon

I realize that. It is just too bad that Jaguar does not do it as well. Good thing Panther has it squared away.

It's too bad. Until then, there's the search field.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Do you know if the sent messages (ie my replies) have to be in the same folder as the messages I'm reading ? I'm talking about both the thread view and the reply button.

I was playing with this last night and Mail kept saying that it couldn't find my replies, and I wasn't sure if that's because they are in a different folder, or because I don't keep them or something.

HAving all my replies in my In Box would get rather messy :/

Oh - and thread view is just slick !