External Hard Drive

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a friend with a 120GB LaCie d2 Drive. He wants to install Jaguar on it so he can take it to school and plug it in and have his 10.2.6 on there istead of the 9.2 which is installed at his cool. I am guessing that you have to plug the hard drive in then run the jaguar installer (you dont have to reboot because the computer can run from the internal HD right?) select the hard drive and then just install Jaguar... now how do you get Jaguar to run at school on the 9.2 machine... just plug it in and what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Try holding down the option key when booting, and see if the external hard drive shows up. Depending on the model Mac that has 9.2 installed, holding down the X key may or may not force the computer to boot off an OS X volume.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    ok just one more question... if I installed Jaguar on the hard drive on a 15" CRT iMac and use the hard drive on that computer as the regular start up disk and everything will the system get screwed up when i plug it in to a power mac g4 with a 17" screen? or does it optimize on startup?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

ok just one more question... if I installed Jaguar on the hard drive on a 15" CRT iMac and use the hard drive on that computer as the regular start up disk and everything will the system get screwed up when i plug it in to a power mac g4 with a 17" screen? or does it optimize on startup?

system should boot fine... we do this to run some cloning on some machines here. Some settings may not stick like the general system settings preference pane which have smoothing value thats made for crt/lcd. Not sure though, might be "byhost-beeches".

Either way, you system should boot fine off your fwhd, (assuming the systems are uptodate and running 9.2.2 w/o any firmware tweaks) if when you connect the drive to the station and boot holding down the "option" and then select your drive.

word of advice though, be nice and don't f--- with the systems that the lab managers have put on the stations, or they'll probably take action to ensure you can boot from anything but the internal drive. enjoy x responsibly...heheh
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

if I installed Jaguar on the hard drive on a 15" CRT iMac ... plug it in to a power mac g4 with a 17" screen?

This could be an issue, depending on the model iMac, as the ones that do not have the slot-loading CD, the pre-350MHz variety, have a different boot ROM that limits partition sizes on the hard drive and could make for some very interesting problems with OS X.

I know there is an Apple tech note about making sure the boot partition on 333MHz and less iMacs should be smaller than 8GB, because if you do ANY OS Updates, they may get written outside of the first 8GB, which will just give you the spinning sundial on startup that will not go away.

What happened to me is I upgraded an old iMac from 6GB with an 80GB drive as one partition. It installed OS X and worked no problem, but once I applied any 10.2.x update, after the update it wouldn't boot, and I had to start again by partitioning the drive with the first partition under 8GB for the OS.

I mention this in case you want to bring the HD back to the iMac (or another iMac) and expect it to work, or move it around between many Mac computers.