Needed - Connect NTSC External TV Monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Needed - Connect NTSC External TV Monitor - Thanks all...

Here is what have.......

G4 Dualie, Gig and 1/2 of ram - CinemaDisplay, 22" - GeForce4 MX with no S-Video or RCA Out - and a 19" NTSC/TV with no S-video in, just RCA in.

Here is what I came with - what's better....

ATI 8500 Mac Edition

- Cheap $129

- Video Card replacement, never "replaced" a card, is it easy?

- Need a convertor for CinemaDisplay (DVI?), I will definitely loss some of the signal through "any" conversion process right?

- Can it power both video sources with "professional" redraw rates (speed)?

- Card "MAY NOT" have RCA connectors, just S-video. Can't tell, but that would mae it un-usable!

Formac Studio DV

- $400 (tvr) or $270 (just dv) not good

- Don't want to use their "compression", will I have to just to view NTSC/TV monitor? (this is just for video in conversion right?)

- How do I get the formac to display the correct source image from FCP/AfterEffects to the NTSC/TV Monitor, and not the entire desktop, just video composition from editing apps?

- Is this $400 overkill just to get video to NTSC/TV Monitor?

Did I get it right all right?

Is there a better solution?

thanks all!

tom

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

- Need a convertor for CinemaDisplay (DVI?), I will definitely loss some of the signal through "any" conversion process right?

No: ADC is essentially a DVI connector augmented with USB and power, so the converter is physical rather than between two different standards. Furthermore, DVI is digital, so signal loss has to be quite severe before it becomes information loss.

Replacing a video card is quite easy. No more difficult than adding RAM.

I'd expect that the card will work fine with both a 1600x1200 monitor and a TV attached. (I assume that there are no hidden surprises, such as Quartz Extreme being disabled ? Anyone else know).

Quote:

Is this $400 overkill just to get video to NTSC/TV Monitor?

If that's all you're going to use it for, yes.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Have a look at this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...Item=ADSXGA128

It's 89$. But you will need a dvi to vga adaptor price 10 - 20$ i think.

I'm using a setup like this right now with a G4 and a Geforce4Ti card.

Note that i comes with an european power supply, but its still capable of NTSC output.