Amusing full page Microsoft ad in USA Today

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, I thought it was...

Was flipping through the business section yesterday and there is this huge, full-page thing from Microsoft giving 3 steps to protect yourself from any sort of virus and/or future worms.

It was one headline, the three steps and the Microsoft logo. A LOT of white space, to say the least.

The funny thing was the wording. It just struck me kinda funny that it had such a casual, ?oh, this stuff is to be expected....? tone to it.

Something like: ?...during this latest virus....? or something like that (the word ?latest? was indeed used).

The little evil guy that lives inside me just got a chuckle out of the fact that this one company seems to hold 98% of the world by the balls and everyone just seems to take in stride the entire notion of something coming along and wiping your computer out, or otherwise causing massive headaches and lost time.

The ad just had a very distinct ?We?re going to take 20 minutes away from counting our money and coming up with longer, harder-to-enter serial numbers to get real chummy with our customers...Sorry if that Blaster thing messed you up too much. But here?s some stuff to know for the next time this happens...and please, don?t hate us too much, okay? I mean, after all...where you gonna go? Hahahahaha!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    1. Buy a Mac

2. See #1

3. Rinse and repeat. 8)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    1. Pitch the Windows box

2. Get a Mac.

3. There is no step 3. There is no step 3! Heeheeheeeheee... Jeff Goldblum is led back to his padded cell as the scene fades.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    1) Go buy a gun

2) Shoot both Steve Ballmar and Bill Gates to death

3) Go to jail and face the death penalty

• Reply 4 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Don't mind Leonis, he's nervous and giddy about donating blood later today. Normally he doesn't post fantasies about killing people.

I love seeing ads like this, I just sit back and smile, and thank my lucky stars that I have seen the light.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Is there anyone who has seen the ad and remembers what it said? I'd be interested.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
  • Reply 7 of 9
    And of course when I went to the Microsoft link I got a "Service Unavailable" message.

How appropriate...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Came back in this week to find that the computers at work seems to spend 90% of the CPU power scanning for viri.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

An antivirus software program will help protect your computer against most viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other malicious code. Many new computers come with antivirus software already installed. However, antivirus software requires a subscription to stay up to date. If you don't have a current subscription for these updates, your computer is likely to be vulnerable to new threats.

Why not just make virus software...or better yet, create a better antivirus OS Well nevermind, newer Windows are their attempts