Its help Anders english night (enhanched edition))

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
me and one of my friends from Uni are applying for a position as research assistants found here. Since the description is in english we have chosen to include an english version of our application. But since we are studying sociology and not english perhaps someone would like to help me iron out the worst language mistakes. Please fell free to correct any spelling or grammar mistakes and our choice of words. Our application is as follows:

TotJytte Klausen

\tDepartment of Politics

\tBrandeis University

Application for the position of research assistants

On the homepage of our department at the University of Copenhagen (Sociology), we have seen that you are looking for research assistants for your project on the immigrant Muslim elite in Denmark and Sweden and with this application we would like to apply for the positions.

We both started as students at the department of Sociology in 1999. During the course of our education, we have been engaged in different forms of stratification in society, including etnicity, both the cultural and power aspect. This has mostly been from a theoretical point of view and we are now at a point where we both want to let our theoretical knowledge be complimentet with some empirical insight. We see the position as research assistants on your project as a perfect way to do this.

We are applying for the position as a team for a number of reasons: First of all, we believe that our individual sociological and theoretical knowledge supplement each other perfectly. Secondly, we have written a number of papers together and know how to divide work between us and often use each other for inspiration and sociological discussions when we write seperatly. And lastly, we are good friends and live very close to each other (without any romantic involvement!) and we believe that it will benefitial in a work situation.

The education at the Sociology department at the University of Copenhagen rest mainly on two pillars: A methodological one and a theoretical one. We have had thorough training in both quantitative and qualititative sociological methods in the bachelor stage of the education. The teaching in quantitative methods at the bachelor level lasted for one and a half year and was highly integrated with training in SPSS and ended with a integrated exam in quantitative method and social differentiation. In the qualitative part the focus have been on interviewing, analysis of interviews and transcription but also discourse and text analysis. Last year we both took a class in comparative method.

Although we each have our strenghts we both have the qualifications needed for the job and will be able to supplement each other when needed. Therefore we would prefer to share the responsibility for all the areas of the position. If needed we would be more than happy to conduct interviews.

In the following we want to give a more indepth description of each of us.

Rikke: I am 29 years old. I have studied sociology for four years now, and before that I studied film and media science for three years. I have a bachelor degree in both.

I can handle SPSS, but my strength and interest lies in the qualitative field. I have worked with interviewing during the four years at the sociology department as well as the years before at the film and media department. Besides interviewing I like to work with discourse analysis.

I want to use my education in the field of media sociology, and is specially interested in the ways different groups are portraied and constructed in the media.

In my spare time I am devoted to music. I have a weekly radioshow, and I have made radio at the Roskilde Festival for two years now. I used to have a volunteer job helping children from ethnic minority groups doing their homework, but I stopped a year ago, when the project was terminated at the school where I was working.

Anders: I am 28 years old. I have one year of education left before I earn my cand.scient.soc title. For the remainding part of my education I want to focus on the democracy on the micro level: The individual and its chance of forming his or hers opportunities in the society, alone or together with others.

I have been using my statistical knowledge and training in SPSS in work situations before. One have been as assistant for the customer analysis department of TDC Mobil (the cellular unit of TeleDanmark) making analysis of customer behaviour and another for a private fertilisation clinic helping lesbian couples where I made analysis on the effect of different life style choices and the use of hormone treatment on the chance of becoming pregnant.

Beside that I have been actively involved in politics, both on a local level and in party politics (I have been parliamentary candidate for Det Radikale Venstre).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Interesting read. Det radikale Venstre. Glad to hear that, though not surprised. Are you sure it's a good thing to include such things on an application? How come you started studying in 99 and are now 28?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    longhornlonghorn Posts: 147member
    To: Jytte Klausen

Department of Politics

Brandeis University

We saw that you were looking for research assistants for your project on the immigrant Muslim elite in Denmark and Sweden from our University of Copenhagen web page, and would like to apply for the positions.

We both started as students at the department of Sociology in 1999. During the course of our education, we have been engaged in different forms of stratification in society, including ethnicity, both the cultural and power aspect. This has mostly been from a theoretical point of view and we are now at a point where we both want to let our theoretical knowledge be complimented with some empirical insight. We see the position as research assistants on your project as a perfect way to do this.

We are applying for the position as a team for a number of reasons: First of all, we believe that our individual sociological and theoretical knowledge compliment each other perfectly. Secondly, we have written a number of papers together and know how to divide work between us and often use each other for inspiration and sociological discussions when we write separately. Lastly, we are good friends and live very close to each other (without any romantic involvement!) and we believe that it would be beneficial in a work situation. NOTE: I would leave this out entirely. You're just going to make someone nervous that there is some kind of involvement. Two people who are close just means a fall out outside of work ruining a work enviornment

Our education at the Sociology department at the University of Copenhagen rest mainly on two pillars: A methodological one and a theoretical one. We have had thorough training in both quantitative and qualitative sociological methods in the bachelor stage of our education. The teaching in quantitative methods at the bachelor level lasted for one and a half years and was highly integrated with training in SPSS and ended with an integrated exam in quantitative method and social differentiation. In the qualitative aspect the focus has been on interviewing, analysis of interviews and transcription, but also discourse and text analysis. Last year we both took a class in comparative method.

Although we each have our strengths we both have the qualifications needed for the job and will be able to compliment each other when needed. Therefore we would prefer to share the responsibility for all the areas of the position. If needed we would be more than happy to conduct interviews.

In the following we want to give a more in-depth description of each of us.

Rikke: I am 29 years old. I have studied sociology for four years now, and before that I studied film and media science for three years. I have a bachelor's degree in both.

I can handle SPSS, but my strengths and interest lies in the qualitative field. I have worked with interviewing during the four years at the sociology department as well as the years before at the film and media department. Besides interviewing I like to work with discourse analysis.

I want to use my education in the field of media sociology, and am especially interested in the ways different groups are portrayed and constructed in the media.

In my spare time I am devoted to music. I have a weekly radio show, and I have made NOTE: Use a different word here radio at the Roskilde Festival for two years now. I used to have a volunteer job helping children from ethnic minority groups doing their homework, but I stopped a year ago, when the project was terminated at the school where I was working.

Anders: I am 28 years old. I have one year of education left before I earn my cand.scient.soc title. For the remaining part of my education I want to focus on democracy on the micro level: The individual and its chance of forming his or her opportunities in society, alone or together with others.

I have been using my statistical knowledge and training in SPSS in work situations before. One have been as assistant for the customer analysis department of TDC Mobil (the cellular unit of TeleDanmark) making analysis of customer behavior and another for a private fertilization clinic helping lesbian couples, where I made analysis on the effect of different life style choices and the use of hormone treatment on the chance of becoming pregnant.Run on sentence, rewrite

Beside that I have been actively involved in politics, both on a local level and in party politics (I have been parliamentary candidate for Det Radikale Venstre).

\t

That's just with spell checking. I see some grammer errors, I'll look at those next.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Det Radikale Venstre IS considered the liberal immigration and refugee friendly party of mostly uni educated people. So I guess it won´t count against me in this application. But how do you know about such a small party as Det Radikale Venstre?

The age thing? Its is (or rather was) very normal to wait to start at uni here until you are 24-25. Free education also mean late beginners (you don´t lose anything if you work for a year, then travel for some time, try different things out before you start). Bad for the economy (less time in the labour force as educated) but good for your own personal karma.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

me and one of my friends from Uni ....

My friend and I ....
  • Reply 5 of 9
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Longhorn: VERY appriciated. Thanks. Anyone wants to build on that?

Scott: Thanks man. But that doesn´t go into the application so allow myself to be a self centered idiot
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

doing their homework

Shouldn't that be changed to "helped them with their homework"? Maybe not, I don't know what you actually did.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Anders: I am 28 years old. I have one year of education left before I earn my cand.scient.soc title. For the *remaining* part of my education I want to focus on the democracy on the micro level: The individual and its chance of forming his or hers opportunities in the *<remove 'the'* society, alone or together with others.

I *have been<remove, replace with: have experience* using my statistical knowledge and training in SPSS in work situations before*<remove 'before'*. *I* have been *an* assistant for the customer analysis department of TDC Mobil (the cellular unit of TeleDanmark) *providing* analysis of customer behaviour*, (comma)**and**delete 'another'*for a private fertilisation clinic helping lesbian couples*(full stop)**delete 'where'* I *<remove 'made analysis on the effect' replace with 'analized the effect* of different life style choices and the use of hormone treatment on the chance of becoming pregnant.

Beside*s* that I have been actively involved in politics, both on a local level and in party politics (I have been parliamentary candidate for Det Radikale Venstre).

OK, that's a rough first pass...but a few thoughts strike me (and call me on this if it's too American)...what's up with the lesbian thing and the political activism (especially giving up your party affiliation)? Is that OK with you? You feel comfortable with that?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Longhorn

First of all, we believe that our individual sociological and theoretical knowledge compliment each other perfectly.

Quick note: you mean complement as in, "peanut butter is a good match to the grape jelly in this sandwich," not, "peanut butter says nice things to the grape jelly in this sandwich."
  • Reply 9 of 9
    not a complete edit, but a few things jumped out at the copywriter in me

edits inclusive, with additional comments in red.

Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

TotJytte Klausen

\tDepartment of Politics

\tBrandeis University

The homepage of the Sociology department at the University of Copenhagen links to an advertised position at Brandeis <give reference code # if available> seeking Research Assistants for your project on the immigrant Muslim elite in Denmark and Sweden. We would like to apply for the position(s).

We are applying for the position as a team for a number of reasons:

First, we believe that our individual sociological and theoretical knowledge supplement each other well. perfectly sounds arrogant

Secondly, we have written a number of papers together and know how to divide work between us and often use each other for inspiration and sociological discussions when we write separately.

And lastly, we are good friends and live very close to each other (without any romantic involvement!) and we believe that it will beneficial in a work situation. I would also concur that this last point is basically similar to your Second point (good team), and geographic proximity in the age of the Internet is largely irrelevant.

When in doubt, leave it out.

How about listing your local knowledge of the "buzz" in Scandinavia (potentially better than US candidates or those without intimate knowledge having lived there). local language fluency is also worth mentioning if you've got it (also a bonus vs unilingual applicants.)

We both started as students at the department of Sociology in 1999. During our education, we have studied different forms of stratification in society, including ethnicity from both the cultural and power aspects. Our curriculum has been mostly theoretical to this point, and we are now at a stage where we both want to expand and apply that raw knowledge to encompass empirical insight. We see the Brandeis position(s) as Research Assistants on your project as a perfect opportunity to grow in this direction.

Education at the Sociology department at the University of Copenhagen rests mainly on two pillars: A methodological one and a theoretical one.

minor point... once you list items after a colon, make sure you address those topics in that order. The following block seems to talk method, but skimps on theory (perhaps I've moved that text up). We have had thorough training in both quantitative and qualitative sociological methods in our undergraduate courses. The teaching in quantitative methods at the bachelor level lasted for one and a half years, was highly integrated with training in SPSS, and ended with a comprehensive exam in quantitative method and social differentiation. In the qualitative realm, the focus was on interviewing, analysis of interviews and transcription, and also branched into discourse and text analysis. Last year we both took a class in comparative method.

Although individually we each have our strengths and both have the qualifications needed for the job, we view our collaborative history as proof of a larger synergy that may add greater value to Brandeis. Therefore, we would prefer to share the responsibility for all the areas of the position if at all possible. < this suggests you might share office and split a single paycheque, so be crystal clear >

In the following we want to give a more in-depth description of each of us.

consider removing this section and attaching a resume, or paste plain text highlight in resume format. This is meant to be a teaser than encourages them to call you in for further interviews. Save the nitty gritty details and academic transcript stuff, IMO.

Rikke: I am 29 years old. I have studied sociology for four years now, and before that I studied film and media science for three years. I have a bachelor degree in both.

< instead of ^ this, try v this >

Rikke: B.A Film and media 1996-1999

B.S. Sociology 1999-2003

<ideally find a way to connect these to suggest continuous evolution of research interest>

Specialization/Strengths: qualitative research < on what... add leverage if you can>

Areas of Further Research interest: media sociology, trends in cultural identification, tribal and demographic media constructs.

Hobbies and Related interests:

best left for resume... don't belong in cover letter unless directly relevant to position

I have a weekly radio show, and I have made radio at the Roskilde Festival for two years now. Past volunteer work has included helping tutor children from ethnic minority groups, which has provided me with first hand knowledge of media stereotyping as recounted by these students.

or something like that... note the attempt to bring focus back to now

as for Rikke, so with Anders... simple and direct points.

Anders: Undergraduate degree 1 (dates)

Final term/semester of cand.scient.soc (dates)

< as above, if you can connect the dots between studies, you can draw a clearer picture >

Specialization/Strengths: statistical knowledge and training in SPSS

Areas of Further Research interest:

Democracy on the micro level - specifically, the individual and opportunities in modern society, including Peer/Group/Tribal self-identification and cultural dynamics.

Relevant Work Experience: statistical knowledge and training in SPSS in work situations as assistant for the customer analysis department of TDC Mobil (the cellular unit of TeleDanmark), where my responsibilities included analysis of customer behaviour. Further sociological field work has included consultations for a private fertilisation clinic helping lesbian couples where I made analysis on the effect of different life style choices and the use of hormone treatment on the chance of becoming pregnant.

not sure if the lesbian fertility clinic will shock conservatives, (now if they were immigrant muslim lesbians...) but if in doubt, leave it out.

Hobbies and interests:

you may get asked which job you want... politician or Soc. researcher... outside interests are fine, potential competition for your professional time and attention are not good 'interests', and some folks might suggest you call them back when you decide what you want to do, fearing you'll bail out if the other offer comes up. don't dilute yourself unless you have a good reason.

whew... hope that helps