Ata controller

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a mac compatible pc ata controller, or even if such a thing exists? I'd like to buy a controller, but I don't want to pay ~$80.

Thanks

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    They do exist, i remember reading stories of mac users using ATA133 PCI cards to use high capacity harddrives (ie: 160GB+). This was when Apple was shipping powermacs with ATA66.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Which Mac? Or more specifically, what bus do you want to plug the card into?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Which Mac? Or more specifically, what bus do you want to plug the card into?

A G4 867. I have three open PCI slots I could use for the card. To clarify my reason for asking this, I've seen cards for wintel that cost ~$10, while a mac specific card is around ~$80. I know some people use wintel usb and firewire cards for their macs, so I thought maybe someone knew of a $10 card that would work.

Thanks

David
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Like most cards I've seen for the Mac, as compared to Windows, they are more expensive because someone had to write the code. In theory, a PC card should work with the correct drivers (if they can be found, as opposed to the prorpietary ones sold with the cards).

G4 867? Mirrored drive doors? Arent there enough ATA busses on it already?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by JimDreamworx

Like most cards I've seen for the Mac, as compared to Windows, they are more expensive because someone had to write the code. In theory, a PC card should work with the correct drivers (if they can be found, as opposed to the prorpietary ones sold with the cards).

G4 867? Mirrored drive doors? Arent there enough ATA busses on it already?

Hello,

I have the single G4 without mirrored drive doors, it comes with an ata66 bus. I thought I should upgrade to an ata133 if I were to add a few large drives. Do you know of any PC cards with mac drivers floating around?

Thanks

David
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    A PC ATA card will not work in your Mac, at least not easily. It needs Open Firmware compatible firmware to be bootable and for the OS to be able to natively identify it. Otherwise the OS would not know what to do with it. Conceivably you might be able to get a kernel extension to match up with it and load, but that would be difficult and beyond most users.