The panther that ate my NIC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
ok, i admit it, i was stupid, pix werent enough for me and i got curious enough to go and dl panther.

every thing was fine, installed it on a sep partition, booted fine, looked great, and then i tried setting up internet.

i entered my dsl info, and was looking at the diff. tabs and i glanced at the advanced menu for ethernet to see what was there, but changed it back to automatic when i was done.

i then tried to connect and nothing, was being told that my ethernet cable was unplugged. i checked it, firm & secure. the little light for 100/10 connection wasnt lighting up on my dsl modem either.

thinking it was simply a bug in panther and nothing to worry about, i looked at a few of the other features, messed around w/ expose, fast user switching, etc.

i then decided to get back to doing real work and i could play later, so i rebooted back into 10.2

tried going online. no dice.

looked at my modem again, no light.

tried zapping pram, messing w/ enet settings again, plugging & unplugging cable, resetting modem, everything else i could think of

and nothing.

so here i am punching myself in the nuts on my 56k dialup trying to figure a way to fix this mess. it seems to kill the ethernet port as soon as x starts to boot, so i know the hardware is in tact, but does anyone have an idea how this could be fixed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    you should have NOT installed it as your default os. You'll have to reinstall OS X 10.2 now.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    its NOT installed as the default os, its installed on a 5 gig partition. booting back to 10.2 does not solve the problem
  • Reply 3 of 3
    You pirate software; you get burned.

Sorry, you're going to have to look elsewhere for help on this one. \

Quote:

11. Posting requests or information about obtaining pirated or illegally-distributed software is prohibited. Any and all such posts may be removed without warning. If the offending member continues with such posts, he or she is subject to immediate suspension from the forums for any amount of time the administrators or moderators deem necessary. Furthermore, asking for technical support for pirated software is also not allowed and will be treated in the same mannar as posts that directly ask for pirated software.