17'' Studio Display: Right Choice for Me?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As I keep mentioning in these forums, I'm passing my TiBook to my sister and getting a G5. So this brings me to the matter of which monitor to get. With the recent price cuts in Canada, I can get an edu. price of $849 CDN for the 17" Studio Display. Considering that even good old Dell's DVI 17" is $799 CDN this seems ok. I like the idea of getting ADC for my first monitor since that way the VGA port is left free because of the bundled DVI-VGA adapter and it should be easy to get a cheap/free VGA monitor, which I'd love to do.

So, does this all make sense? Will I be happy with the 17" Apple screen? What do people think of it? I like it in the store, but some real world tales would be great. Is it bright enough compared to other monitors. Is the viewing angle fine in spite of the tripod stand? Any other monitors people recommend strongly?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    You'll need a Twinview card(or a second PCI graphics card) to run two monitors. I don't think the G5 comes with Twinview cards standard. Just because there are two ports doesn't mean you can use two displays.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

You'll need a Twinview card(or a second PCI graphics card) to run two monitors. I don't think the G5 comes with Twinview cards standard. Just because there are two ports doesn't mean you can use two displays.

All PowerMacs have come with dual display graphics card for almost 2 years now.

From the horse's mouth:
    Quote:

The Power Mac G5 comes with an Apple Display Connector (ADC) port for connecting an Apple display, and a DVI port for a second digital display ? with support for both extended desktop and video mirroring modes.

And to address the topic at hand, from what I've seen of the 17 inch Displays, they look very nice, and I tempted to have dual LCDs (with my Powerbook supplying the other).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ryukyuryukyu Posts: 450member
    I've had a 17" for a year now and the image quality is beautiful. Have never had a problem.

All of my friends with CRTs drool when they come over and see it.

It's plenty bright. In fact I have the brightness turned down quite a bit.

I'd say go for it. You won't be sorry.