Display speed

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone have an idea how fast ADC and DVI connectors are? I know VGA is analog and hard to measure, but DVI/ADC must have some speed. P.S. Why do I want to know? To see how practical SCSI/FireWire/USB2/Wi-Fi/Ethernet displays would be.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It depends on the latency less than speed. Speed matters, but if you have a superfast connection that has high latency, it would be impracticle.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    You can find out the minimum raw (uncompressed) bandwidth required with some simple caculations. At millions of colours on a 1600x1200 screen, that's 1600x1200x32 = 61Mbits per frame. At 40fps (a typical TFT/LCD refresh rate, but unacceptably slow for a CRT) that is more than twice the bandwidth of gigabit ethernet.

Adding compression of frames and between them would help the bandwidth problem immensely, but requires more CPU load on the host computer and more intelligent displays, making i) your machine slower and ii) the display more expensive.

The closest thing I can think of is a running X-Windows applications remotely, but high level drawCS refresh rate, but unacceptably low for a CRT) this is more that twice gigabit ethernet bandwidth. Frame and temporal (interfame) compression would help quite a lot with bandwidth problems, but would require extra CPU load at the host end and adding decompression electrotrickery to the tering instructions are sent rather than a raw bitmap of the screen. Even then it's still quite slow, especially if there are some things that have to be sent as bitmaps. You wouldn't want to edit photographs using X-Windows remotely.

Latency isn't that important for everyday use: about 2 or three frames behind the user's actions is probably acceptable.

Also, why use another connector when DVI/ADC & VGA are already designed for this purpose?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Thanks for the answers. Now I know displays require tons of data/sec. In response to "Why would you want to use another connector", here's my two (now defunct) ideas: a. Wireless displays, and b. FireWire/USB2 connections for those without DVI/ADC.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Thanks for the answers. Now I know displays require tons of data/sec. In response to "Why would you want to use another connector", here's my two (now defunct) ideas: a. Wireless displays, and b. FireWire/USB2 connections for those without DVI/ADC.

Wouldn't a wireless keyboard and mouse on a computer with an integrated display solve your problem?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The only time I've heard of a display using a connection not designed for it is way back when there were SCSI-Video adapters for those who couldn't afford a PDS video card. Apparently they were slow as molasses on a cold day.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

At 40fps (a typical TFT/LCD refresh rate, but unacceptably slow for a CRT) that is more than twice the bandwidth of gigabit ethernet.

LCDs are 60Hz, not 40Hz.

Let's turn this question around: why not use VGA/DVI/ADC to transfer data?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yes, 60Hz, but the typical LCD pixel response time is 25 ms or 40 times per second. This is what leads to ghosting and blurring. Apple's LCDs are all between 25 ms and 40 ms.

The fastest I've seen is the Hitachi CML175 at 16 ms.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Wouldn't a wireless keyboard and mouse on a computer with an integrated display solve your problem?

Hmmm... not perfect, but better then wired.