Panther benchmarks repository

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
People here have been claiming how so much faster Panther is compared to Jaguar/Puma. We all want to see some Panther benchmarks comparing it to Jaguar(or Puma). Since we're comparing the OSs, please report results from both Panther and Jaguar/Puma.

You may choose your own favorite apps to benchmark, but here are some suggestions:

1. Let1kWindowsBloom -- Probably the defacto standard today in measuring the "snappyness" of the window system. Simply and compatibile from OS 8.6 through Panther.

2. XBench

3. Skidmarks suit aka. Basher benchmarks (found on Apple developer tools CD)

4. CineBench2003

5. Boot times between similarly configured Jaguar/Puma and Panther installs

6. Journaling performance on/off in Panther versus Jaguar by duplicating a folder with hundreds of items in it.

Don't forget to report your Panther build number along with your results! It's critical you include this with your Jaguar/Puma scores so we have a basis for comparison.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *sigh*

Let1KWindowsBloom is bogus for Quartz Extreme. Even the developer says so.

CineBench is bogus for the G5. Even the developer says so.

Expect a 'fixed' version of CineBench out soon, but L1KWB isn't likely to ever be a good benchmark of Quartz. Let it pass quietly into that good night, sweet prince.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Nice of you to contribute some scores for the comparison. Keep it up!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Scores for useless benchmarks, as the two cases above, are... wait for it... useless.

Thought I'd save everyone some time, both in testing and in the inevitable arguments that would follow.

XBench is a decent mark, but even that team has requested a week or so more to ensure good consistency with the G5... which, I might add, is a (supposedly) shipping product. Panther ain't.

Boot time? Sure. It's simple, although likely to vary between b44 and 1.0.

The benchmarks will be tweaked, updated, and outright modified when Panther hits the streets for real. Until then, they're at best raw guesses in the dark.

*shrug*

But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Post dem scores.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

*sigh*

Let1KWindowsBloom is bogus for Quartz Extreme. Even the developer says so.

CineBench is bogus for the G5. Even the developer says so.

Expect a 'fixed' version of CineBench out soon, but L1KWB isn't likely to ever be a good benchmark of Quartz. Let it pass quietly into that good night, sweet prince.

can you post sources for your claims that Let1KWindowsBloom and CineBench are bogus for QE and the G5 respectively? I couldn't find anything by the authors on their respective websites. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Let's have lmbench results, since 10.2 does notoriously poorly on it.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by cygsid

can you post sources for your claims that Let1KWindowsBloom and CineBench are bogus for QE and the G5 respectively? I couldn't find anything by the authors on their respective websites. Thanks.

Oh lord. The L1KWB fiasco was when Jaguar came out. Try searching back in the forums a bit. Essentially, L1KWB tests the Finder's implementation of messaging more than it does the actual windowing system, IIRC the final conclusion. It's rather like PPC vs. x86 benchmarks... the benchmark is only really relevant when comparing the same architecture... in this case, OS 9's Finder vs. OS X's Finder. There are too many variables to really state that it still tests what it was intended to test. Now that the new Finder is Yet Another Substantial Update, the situation is yet more muddled.

The CineBench one is a bit more recent: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ight=Cinebench

Check towards the bottom for links to discussions on other boards that are quite a bit more detailed. It boils down to: "The G5 sux!" "No, CineBench doesn't take advantage of any of the new architecture, and..." "The G5 sux!" "Uh, no, CineBench needs to be at *least* recompiled with some decent optimizations before we can..." "The G5 sux!" *WHAP*

But, given that we all understand that such benchmarks really don't mean a whole heck of a lot most of the time, post dem scores. Should be interesting at the least, if not illuminating.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Xbench 1.1 is out and is optimized for the G5. Now only if moderators would stop detrailing threads!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Xbench 1.1 results for a Dual 1GHz running Panther 7B44 (don't ask me about the disk-test): results

Especially the user interface-test is nice:

User Interface Test\t185.36\t

\tElements\t185.36\t63.07 refresh/sec

Beats the reference dual 800 clearly!

Edit: Re-ran the CPU-test while having a bunch of applications open, plus playing mp3, and the vecLib FFT-test now chimed in at

vecLib FFT\t122.30\t1.88 Gflop/sec, 5 times my initial results.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Xbench 1.1 results for a Dual 1GHz running Panther 7B44 (don't ask me about the disk-test):

Turn journalling off?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Disabling journaling changed little, but I realized the disk was pretty full, so I changed to my 2nd, slower IBM-disk.

Updated results
  • Reply 11 of 17
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    http://www.xbench.com/

Download it and run it on your G5s and your G4s and your G3s. But especially on your G5s. Go, go, go, go, go!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Screw you all for stalling!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It's the weekend! We have better things to do! Like jack up our post counts!

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 17
    As I posted in the Panther performance thread a little down in this forum,

this is Xbench 1.1 on a DP1GHz MDD running the newest build of Panther:

Promising results
  • Reply 15 of 17
    eep...something's wrong
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Xbench 1.1 is out and is optimized for the G5. Now only if moderators would stop detrailing threads!

Kwitcherbitchen, nancy boy and post your own scores.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    KKS... redundant thread.

Alright, going to try merging these suckers. Hold on, everybody.