"Thank You" Virus eMails

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have gotten, at last count, 5 of the "Thank You" virus (?) eMails as "undelivered" from my ISP Earthlink. I am deleting them. I forgot to indicate the first 4 as "Junk", but did so on the last one received about 10 minutes ago. Is this it?

Quote:

------ Failed Recipients ------

<[email protected]>: Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable. [SMTP Error Code 550]

-------- Returned Mail --------

Received: from unknown(208.187.180.218) by smtp.sat.net.pk via csmap

\t id 30893; Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:00:12 +0500 (PKT)

To: <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: Thank you!

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:00:27 --0700

X-MailScanner: Found to be clean

Importance: Normal

X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Priority: 3 (Normal)

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/mixed;

\tboundary="_NextPart_000_0003B844"

This is a multipart message in MIME format

--_NextPart_000_0003B844

Content-Type: text/plain;

\tcharset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Please see the attached file for details.

--_NextPart_000_0003B844

Content-Type: application/octet-stream;

\tname="wicked_scr.scr"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-Disposition: attachment;

\tfilename="wicked_scr.scr"

X-NAI-WebShielde250-mimepp: Attachment repaired

--_NextPart_000_0003B844--

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I got like 50 of those the other day all from different emails including one from a .gov email and they all had different subjects... there was even a fake "returned email" email and it said the usual your message could not be delivered blah blah blah and then see the attachment for details.... I kept getting them and getting them non stop... everytime you put one in the trash more just come so you have to take out your ethernet cable, or telephone cable... then go into Mail while your are not online... delete the messages then and then close mail and plug your connection back in.

It works... i stopped getting mine and i heard this trick on the radio
  • Reply 2 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So as long as you don't use your computer you're okay.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What kind of friends do you have, I haven't gotten any
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I have gotten a lot, but I just deleted them... If they got on my PC that would be a different story, it's a good thing I haven't had to touch it in... well I gave it to my mother about 2 years ago.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    I got emails from the government... and i dont know how they know my email... it is probably because my whole schools windows systems have the virus and when i plugged my LaCie hard drive into one of our macs it traveled in from the network
  • Reply 6 of 24
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

What kind of friends do you have, I haven't gotten any

Same here. I guess I'm not popular enough to be in anyone's address book.

It is strange that I haven't gotten any. \
  • Reply 7 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Actually, it looks like Earthlink is intercepting the emails. All I'm getting (and it has stopped in the last few hours) is an "undelivered" message. No problems. Oh yes, I have no friends.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    I started getting them yesterday I think, and they haven't stopped coming. I've been getting about 1 every 2-3 hours I'd say. It's really really annoying. I know they can't do anything, but it just pisses me off. I used to look forward to hearing that little purr that meant I had mail. Sigh...

\
  • Reply 9 of 24
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I have gotten about....umm...20-30 since this thing started making the rounds.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Count yourselves lucky, I have been getting 100-200/day Entourage has promptly sent them all to the deleted items since I get so much junk-mail every day. I have Entourage set to max on the junk-mail filter which catches all my junk-mail and then some. Only 3 e-mails out of the 500-1,000 I got didn't get declared as junk-mail.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I followed MacUser's advice and they have stopped coming. Now that I remember they actually started about a week ago... 1 every other day or so and they escalated to one an hour last Friday. But as I said, no more now.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I know that macs are immune to all these viruses, etc, etc. But is it possible for a Mac to carry a virus and pass it along to other computers, either by self replicating, or just in actual emails that you send out? My sister goes to school at BC and whoever is in charge of these things up there is telling her that her computer is carrying this virus and are threatening to shut off her internet connection if she doesn't get rid of it. Virex didn't find anything, but it's not up to date. She's almost completely computer illiterate so its hard to walk her through it, even with iChat AV. Hopefully I can help her out while I'm up there next weekend for the labor day game.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I was lucky I got only one "Thank You" email on my .mac account but was cleaned up by Norton Antivirus. All the time I thought Apple was promoting Virex (McAfee Antivirus). Strange though.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I know that macs are immune to all these viruses, etc, etc. But is it possible for a Mac to carry a virus and pass it...Snip

The person who told your sister that seems rather misinformed. That virus has no way of working on the Mac, the file that carries the virus can't even run on it. Its possible that someone else (on a Windows machine) has it and her email address is being spoofed and it looks to be coming from her.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

The person who told your sister that seems rather misinformed. That virus has no way of working on the Mac, the file that carries the virus can't even run on it. Its possible that someone else (on a Windows machine) has it and her email address is being spoofed and it looks to be coming from her.

BC is having some serious problems with their email...

they are blocking ALL incoming non-BC email.

sledge if I remember correctly your sister is a sophomore... if she has a mac then the virus isn't active on her computer... but she could be forwarding it on to other people.... which is HIGHLY unlikely unless she is doing it on purpose...

who has been telling her that her computer is infected? (as in if you could give me *their* email i'm sure I could help sort this out...

some people in the IT dept at BC have no clue how to do anything...

oh, and BC gives out free antivirus software... its on their website... i'll PM it to you
  • Reply 16 of 24
    ...I just checked my email and right way I was inform my email provider I have run-out of diskspace (10MB). It was completely filled with those SoBig emails. When I went to empty the trash can, I saw I had more than 130 emails to delete, most were those 100kb emails.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Sh*t guys! I got you all beat. Look at the bottom of the image. This is what I woke up to this morning! Jeepers! Come on people, run a virus scan already!
  • Reply 18 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Away for two short days, and I come back to 50 of these mails. Glad to know I'm not the only one. For a moment there, I feared my account got hacked.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    \

...once again I get this:

Yesterday I actually deleted all emails just to make sure I would have enough space just in case I would get this kind of crap.

• Reply 20 of 24