OS X help please...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I fell into curiousity/temptation and tried a downloaded seed of 10.3. After I took a look around I rebooted my iBook to format/reinstall from my iBook restore CD. After bootup the CD drops to a black screen with "ERROR 0." I know my CDs are fine as I've wiped my iBook clean and reinstalled a few times since I got it about 8 months ago. I can reinstall 10.3, but that's it. I've tried to reinstall from my restore CD in 10.3 and it locks up halfway into install. I don't feel comfortable using the beta operating system on the internet as I don't know how much personal info it sends back to Apple, as I'm sure they don't particularly appreciate people using downloaded software.

Can anyone help get 10.21 back on my system or just let me know if I can use the laptop in the meantime on the 'net? I'm having to use my PC to post this.. :P

Thanks,

A relatively new Apple fan - oviously.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quick! Run and check the posting guidelines for this forum! Run! Now!

Initial reply was useless:

Either a Mod or an Admin will smote you for posting about software you pirated. You also run an increased risk of being mercilessly mocked if you are seeking help for a problem caused by using pirated software.

You are better off deleting your post or rephrasing it so you're shady doings are veiled by ambiguity.

Perhaps, ask: Is it possible to downgrade to a previous version of the OS?

Another thing, why have re-installed Jaguar so many times?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    download a copy of gentoo linux's liveboot cd, the basic one only being about 50mb, Burn it to a disc and boot it holding down the C key.

when its finished booting type fdisk and erase all the partitions on your disk and try jag again.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I'm no expert but I'd guess that a 4 or 5 time PRAM zap followed up by a CD boot may do it. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I woudl suggest that you boot up from your 10.2 cds (or whatever it is you have), go to the apple menu (or is it file?) and select Disk Utility.

From there format your hard drive, and then quit Disk utility and you should go back into the installer for 10.2. Install 10.2.

Moral - don't download software off t'internet.

I know - I had my powerbook seemingly die on me after I installed the wwdc build of 10.3. Turns out it was just a weird power issue with waking from sleep. Still it put the wind up me, and cost me 65 quid to get it looked at when there was nothing wrong.

Safe to say I am now on 10.2.6 and feel suitably humbled.