error 36 networking os x and win xp

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
yo...i have a tibook 500mhz with os x 10.6.

i can access my mac from the win xp machine. i can see the pc ip address in my network window on the mac. but when i cmd-k from the mac, i get error 36. this is an I/O error it seems, and i found a supposed cure on the web, that being that i should enable NetDDE on the win XP machine. I have done that, no difference.

any ideas would be appreciated...i have run out of hard disk space on my mac and i need to finish editing a video before the end of this week...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    skreeskree Posts: 2member
    run the repair permissions utility
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tohmtohm Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally posted by skree

run the repair permissions utility

thanks for the reply...I tried it. I still get the same rror unfortunately. maybe i am doing something wrong with the way i am logging in from os x? i have created a user on win xp with the same details as my home user in os x.

cheers
  • Reply 3 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No I believe that means you didn't authenticate right. Check the password etc.

Why do Macs give you numbers instead of real error messages? Why not have a More box that is actually useful and contains English (or your) language? That would be so much better than having to go to www.AppleErrorCodes.com to troubleshoot.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    error 36 means your Windows machine is rejecting your mac. Here's what I've done to resolve this problem:

Disable the Windows integrated Firewall completely, as it will interfere with samba. Perhaps it is enough to disable it just for this one connection.

Configure any other Firewall to let your mac's IP pass (I presume you're using the static IP setting).

Once you have done this go to the Network utility in the Application-folder and Ping your XP machine, to ensure you get an answear like "0% of pakets lost".

Now it should work without a problem when you try to connect through connect to server.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Check for sharing on your Windows Xp machine, I know this may sound a bit trivial but I myself have made that mistake.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    One thing I've always found to be a pain is that SMB requires a username and password that is all-capitals when you log into the Mac from the Windows machine. Otherwise you get error -36.

Logging into the Windows box from the Mac isn't as fussy, just as long as you have a shared drive/partition, so I usually go that way round
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

One thing I've always found to be a pain is that SMB requires a username and password that is all-capitals when you log into the Mac from the Windows machine. Otherwise you get error -36.

Logging into the Windows box from the Mac isn't as fussy, just as long as you have a shared drive/partition, so I usually go that way round

Thanks for the help, everyone!

I have disabled the firewall on the xp machine and on my mac. i have shared the root on the xp, enabled windows file sharing on os x. maybe i am still doing the login wrong: at the moment i have matched the shortname in the os x user account to the account name in the xp login screen. i still get error 36.

so i got Captain ftp, and it gives a communication port error in os x. on the xp machine in the connection status window i can see there is some data being transferred between os x and xp.

so i will try and find some fix for my communication port error...any more ideas will be welcome, because i would refer to have a network connection so that i can render video files on the xp hard disk, instead of ftp.

cheers :>
  • Reply 8 of 11
    i got crystalfire wormhole, just to check, and it works fine, no errors. i thought the wormhole was some sort of ftp software, so how can it be that wormhole works but captain ftp doesnt?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hmmm...jumping around a bit....i have cocoftp on the winxp machine, and i can read the mac fine. but i have partitioned my osx hard disk and i cant figure how to get to my media partition, because the cocoftp doesnt list it.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    I have this happen every so often between my PowerBook and Samba running on my Debian (linux) box. Resetting the password to the same thing on the server fixes this, but I'm not sure how it will work with Windows. I was networking with Windows for a while, and I don't remember having it happen that often. Try resetting the password on the Windows computer.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tohm

hmmm...jumping around a bit....i have cocoftp on the winxp machine, and i can read the mac fine. but i have partitioned my osx hard disk and i cant figure how to get to my media partition, because the cocoftp doesnt list it.

You mean, you don't know that OS X's volumes are in the /Volumes folder? Or what exactly is the problem?