G5 delivery in Germany stopped?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to www.macnews.de (German article), G5 deliveries in Germany have been recalled and delayed to mid-September.

A comment on mactechnews.de states that the problem seems to be with non-closing side panels on most of the machines. Another delay *sigh*...

Michael

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Deliveries to Japan were also postponed until next month according to an Apple-Japan statement last Friday. Unfortunately, it looks like the slowness of shipments may be do to this case manufacturing problem.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    I am supposed to be getting my G5 shipped by September 2nd, should I be expecting any delays for the American customers. Hope not, hope everyone gets their G5's on time.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Engel

According to www.macnews.de (German article), G5 deliveries in Germany have been recalled and delayed to mid-September.

A comment on mactechnews.de states that the problem seems to be with non-closing side panels on most of the machines. Another delay *sigh*...

Michael

a funny thing is that the shipping timeframe for the 2GHz G5 and the 1.8GHz G5 stays the 28th of august while the shipping date for the G5/1.6GHz is pushed back to the 11th of september...

a german online-shop with shipping dates
  • Reply 4 of 9
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Now, I'm not saying that there aren't manufacturing problems with the G5, however one thing is worth remembering: these rumor sites advertise, and they're paid for it based on the number of page views they get. Nobody's going to remember later whether they're right or wrong, so if they copy a rumor from another page that gets them more clicks, they're ahead.

All this copying of rumors is kind of like the game of "telephone" that I used to play with my classmates as a kid: line up a bunch of people and whisper something in one person's ear, then ask them to repeat the thing from one to another down the line. At the end, an entirely different thing emerges than what the first person was told.

I'll believe the specifics of any delay when Apple offers a press release or an explanation. More likely they'll just change the date. Anyway, my dual 2GHz is scheduled to ship on or before Friday, so we'll see whether they meet that date.

-- Mark
  • Reply 6 of 9
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    So in other words, what you are saying Mark is that it could very well be a false propaganda by the rumors website to attract more hits. You could be right, I hope you are right about this.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

So in other words, what you are saying Mark is that it could very well be a false propaganda by the rumors website to attract more hits. You could be right, I hope you are right about this.

I'm not saying intentionally false, but introduce one good story at one of these sites and it pops up everywhere in a few hours...

-- Mark
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

A rumor site embellishing the facts to drum up business???

No way!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mark_wilkins

Anyway, my dual 2GHz is scheduled to ship on or before Friday, so we'll see whether they meet that date.

Incidentally, I just called, and the guy on the phone at Apple indicated that back when the PB 17" came out they notified people of a production delay two weeks or so in advance. He pointed out that the sales support guys had gotten nothing but positive news about them meeting their estimated ship dates.

While they could still delay (there is, after all, nothing to stop them!) I know if I were a manager in sales support at Apple and I had an inkling of a possible but uncertain production problem I'd be encouraging the phone reps to set moderate expectations, point out that the dates are estimates, not promises, and to indicate that there weren't any news to tell.

-- Mark