One more MS only Web Site in the UK :(

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
This time it's B-Sky-B (subsidiary to Fox News in the US) that's systematically blocking users of Non Microsoft Os's. I think it's incredible that a company that likes to be taken seriously actually does this sort of thing. I sent them this following letter from their own feedback page. Just hope they read it. Would be nice if some footy mad UKers would do the same.

Quote:

How come Skysports.com results services are now Microsoft Windows compatible only? As a Mac user I can can no longer follow the Football matches on Skysports.com. Also your Audio commentary services are for windows users only. All this is absolutely unnecessary. There are plenty of solutions that perfectly fit for other computer platforms like Mac-Os and UNIX as well as Windows. I hope you'll reconsider your decision to be a 'Windows only' web site. After all, around 10% of computer users prefer non Microsoft Operating Systems

I'm fu*king pissed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    as a web developer, i can understand a page *looking* crappier on one platform or the other, but actually *blocking* platforms from viewing websites? that's ludicrous. i can understand buymusic.com doing it (since apple folk can't really use the files anyway) but something like a sports site has no excuse for that.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Can we not use the app (forgot the name of it) to turn on the debugging mode in Safari so that Safari is identified as IE 6.0 (Windows platform). I don't know if this would help, but surely there is an option of doing that in the debugging mode in Safari.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    The link is here It's not the web site as such (it looks equally cluttered on both platforms). It's just the online commentary service and the 'Live Scores' service that don't work. I've never had access to the Audio service on my Mac but until yesterday I could follow the scores
  • Reply 4 of 9
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I had no problems accessing any areas of the site.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I had no problems accessing any areas of the site.

Probably because no games are currently being played. Get in here and click the 'live scores' link. Nothing will happen if you are on a Mac, on a PC a score sheet will appear
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It works with Camino (make sure you haven't blocked pop-ups)

I can see a signed pic of Jeff Stelling with "Welcome to the new skysports.com live score centre" etc etc etc
  • Reply 7 of 9
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

It works with Camino (make sure you haven't blocked pop-ups)

I can see a signed pic of Jeff Stelling with "Welcome to the new skysports.com live score centre" etc etc etc

Works fine on Safari here too. Uncheck "block pop ups" and it works fine. I see the scrolling scores without a problem.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Works fine on Safari here too. Uncheck "block pop ups" and it works fine. I see the scrolling scores without a problem.

Great!! Works fine for me now. The funny thing is that Sky.com is a part of the MSN network and it doesn't work in MS Internet Explorer It's still a bit odd that you have to turn off pop-up blocking. It worked fine with pop-up blocking on until 2 days ago. The Audio Commentary service is still Windows only though