Now that the G5 is shipping, is the G4 tower dead?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Not counting what's left in stock, will Apple continue to make the G4 tower with new mot processors (when they come out) and sell it as a low end tower? Target the consumer tower crowd.

They could put out the long lusted after $999 single proc G4 tower. 1GHz/Ati9000/40GB/128MB/burner/FW400. Price the models at $999-$1599.

Cheapen the case somehow, put only 3 pci on the mobo. Get it done. Low numbers bring customers in and many are then likely to buy up when they see what's available.

A G4 1GHz+ single processor system should run Panther and most "consumer" sfw pretty darn well. Real "pro" buyers won't buy a single G4 tower anyway and there are a lot of consumers that the AIO doesn't appeal to, but can't afford the $2G+ price tag on the G5 tower. So they go to winhell. \

Make it so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Yup, the Powermac G4 is dead. VIVA LA G5!!! Now that I think about it, the G4 itself will probably be dead very soon.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nervnerv Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

They could put out the long lusted after $999 single proc G4 tower. 1GHz/Ati9000/40GB/128MB/burner/FW400. Price the models at $999-$1599.

The $999 Holy Grail (aka "cheap tower") that the Faithful have all been waiting for will not appear. I'm no psychic, but I do have a sixth sense if you will, I call it the gift of "hindsight". You see, I have the ability to look way way into the past and use my "hindsight" to make educated guesses about the future.

Wait... I feel a burst of "hindsight" coming on now!

Apple is a company that makes stylish and pricey computers.

Even more "hindsight"...

Apple has never made inexpensive towers.

We'll see the Cube rise from the ashes before Apple splits its PowerMac line along two processors.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Apple made a statement along the lines that they will continue to supply the G4 towers as long as there is demand for them. I think they realized that a cheap (by Apple standards) tower has a market. I beleive the G4s are selling well in Japan.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I can not imagine that Apple will spend any substantial money on redesigning the G4 tower or motherboard. However I can imagine that they have a "maintenance mode" for a basic G4 tower that will boot in OS 9. You can still buy 68040 CPU upgrades from Sonnettech for your IIsi disregarding the fact that the CPU upgrade is more expensive than a second hand power PC!

So for those that have to use OS 9 Apple will be happy to sell new G4 towers. Better that then those customers getting second hand Macintoshes or migrating to PC.

Currently I am running a legacy application that only run in NT 4 and refuse to run in Win 2000 and XP. On the Mac I have some applications that only run in OS 7 or in one case up to 8.1. This is a good reason to have a old 7600/200 around. Even if I could get new applications (if they were aviable, they are not) the cost could be more than a computer....

The G4 is on its way out, a year from now we will only have it in the iBook as I guesstimate. Soon we will see the final round of speed bumps before it is taken off stage