International edition college textbooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Are these commonplace now? The first one I saw was a year ago. They are paperback editions of the hardback textbooks.

This is the first time I looked for them. Here are some of the ones I bought:

Modern Digital and Analog Communications Systems, 3rd edition

B.P. Lathi

$112.00 new (Amazon)

$107.00 new (SFSU bookstore)

$80.25 used (SFSU bookstore, none in stock)

$39.93 + $3.49 shipping (paperback)

Discrete-Time Signal Processing, 2nd edition

Alan V. Oppenheim

$115.00 new (Amazon, SFSU Bookstore)

$86.25 used (SFSU bookstore, none in stock)

$40.50 + $3.49 shipping "Low price edition" (paperback)

Digital Signal Processing: A computer based approach, 2nd edition

Sanjit K. Mitra

$145.55 new (Amazon)

$69.99 + $3.49 tax (paperback)

I found these using Amazon's "used book" option, and I've since found more at eBay's "half.com".

The first book I bought was Microelectronic Circuits by Sedra and Smith. There was nothing unusual about it, and the cover page even stated that the book was printed in the United States (Oxford University Press).

The Communications Systems book mentioned above seems legal, except that on closer look, I found that the cover page has been removed, so I don't know where it was published (also Oxford University Press).

The DSP book by Mitra also looked legal. The jacket cover is printed in Chinese (and the package was postmarked Shanghai). While writing this post, I noticed that this one also has the cover page removed (McGraw-Hill Press).

Finally, the Oppenheim book has the notice "This edition is manufactured in India and is authorized for sale only in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and the Maldives." (Published by Pearson Education Asia, Third Indian Reprint)

These certainly seem like bargains. While they aren't going to their intended market, they don't seem to be pirated. In addition, some people might prefer to carry around paperbacks.

Sorry if this is old news, but with most students, every little bit helps, and I thought it might be useful. I started ordering books on August 8th, received most within a week, and received the last one today. Even if school has already started, most bookstores have a grace period for textbook returns.