No startup chime

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I noticed this morning when I started up my cube that I havn't heard the startup chime in a long time. The computer is working great. I recently (two weeks ago) installed an 80 gig HD and re installed Jaguar. Than I transfered all of my files and folders from my old drive. Could that be the reason? It's not a huge deal, but I want my chime back, I miss it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    do u have external speakers plugged in, or something plugged into the 1/8th" speaker jack? also, i'm pretty sure if the volume is off when you turn the comp off, or restart, then you won't hear the startup chime. its nothing to get worried about though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Starting with a version of Jaguar -- I've no idea which -- when the sound is up all the way, the chime will not sound. It's a feature. Of course, I've got some AVS 2100's plugged in to the 1/8" jack at all times, so I've no idea if that has something to do with it.

The bong does sound cool with a subwoofer though.

Anyone ever use one of those curvy Power Macintosh 6500's? The ones with internal subwoofers....turn all other speakers off (like on the monitor and such) and turn the internal one up all the way, then restart.

It is the most evil Mac Bong I've ever heard.

And I like it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Startup volume is one of the things stored in the PRAM. Sometimes it can inexplicably get stuck. Zapping it with command-option-p-r at startup might fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Startup volume is one of the things stored in the PRAM. Sometimes it can inexplicably get stuck. Zapping it with command-option-p-r at startup might fix it.

Is that going to mess up anything on my computer? Will my HD be safe and everything like that?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Anyone ever use one of those curvy Power Macintosh 6500's? The ones with internal subwoofers....turn all other speakers off (like on the monitor and such) and turn the internal one up all the way, then restart.

It is the most evil Mac Bong I've ever heard.

And I like it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have one, its sitting next to my cube, still runs great. It is sweet. I didn't mean to turn the external speakers off and so I cranked the volume up all the way and it still didn't work, so I restarted and I almost pissed myself it was so loud. I'll never make that mistake again.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Is that going to mess up anything on my computer? Will my HD be safe and everything like that?

Parameter-RAM (PRAM, also known as non-volatile RAM) is only used to store very basic system-wide settings like the initial volume, initial screen resolution, and boot settings. The resolution, for example, is just the setting for the grey "apple" screen because it changes to your personal resolution when it reaches the "welcome to macintosh" progress screen. The boot settings I refer to are things that most people nevcer touch such as forcing the system to use verbose mode or single-user mode at startup. If these things sound alien to you, I think it's safe to say you can zap the PRAM.

Here's how you do it:

Reboot the computer and be sure you are holding down the command, option, 'p', and 'r' keys. Normally the chime would sound and the monitor would blink on. Then, while you're still holding those four keys, the system will restart again, souunding the chime again and blinking the monitor off and back on. Let it do this one more time and release the keys to allow the system to finish booting.

Your chime *should* then be restored. Once booted up, double check that your system volume is up and then try one more regular reboot to see if this fixed the problem.

Good luck!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Reboot the computer and be sure you are holding down the command, option, 'p', and 'r' keys. Normally the chime would sound and the monitor would blink on. Then, while you're still holding those four keys, the system will restart again, souunding the chime again and blinking the monitor off and back on. Let it do this one more time and release the keys to allow the system to finish booting.

It didn't work I held down the keys on restart and It took a while but I finally heard my HD start up again, than a few seconds later I heard it again, than a few seconds later...again. Whats the deal?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

It didn't work I held down the keys on restart and It took a while but I finally heard my HD start up again, than a few seconds later I heard it again, than a few seconds later...again. Whats the deal?

i own a Cube 450/832Mb/120Gb + Superdrive (no, not internal, but hooked to the "not anymore internal" IDE. running X 10.2.6.

same here:

no bong, no startup sound

but also, no sound at all!

i bought an iMic converter from belkin, sound is fine, but of course no startup, 'cause the belkin is just recognized after startup...-

i suppose, the little black box between usb>>blackbox>>speaker has gone? it is not recognized by the system.

the iMac soumetimes is also "lost", but plug out-plug in does help...-

so, my Cube is VERY silent!

it is not a bug, it s a feature..............