Some sort of update before Paris: Here's my thought...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Wow. I can't believe I'm starting a thread in Future Hardware. I think this is a first.

Anyway, I think I put 2 and 2 together today. As you may have noticed, Apple's pushing the new Macromedia suite on its main page. What got me thinking is that any time they've done that in the past, it's only up for a few days before something is updated or another front page replaces it. Really, how long does Apple want to advertise a non-Apple product on its front page -- no matter how related it is to the platform? Certainly not all the way until Paris.

In this case, I think we'll see a small update to the iMac in the next few days. Like another thread in this forum has announced, it will probably have a 1.2 Ghz G4 or something like that. Apple can ride that publicity for the next two weeks until Paris when they can speed bump the 12 and 17" Powerbooks and replace the 15 with a newer design that brings it in line with its siblings.

Sounds plausible to me. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    I dunno...

It would also be way too easy to replace the graphic with some new promotion...

"Like the Mac plus monitor combo promo"

"Free (insert software app here) with any Mac promo"

"Another free printer after rebate promo"

"My guess would be for some kind of Apple Loan promo that is better than the current Apple Loan deal. Maybe a 1 year 0% financing deal."

Should be interesting though.

MSKR
  • Reply 2 of 27
    While Apple has done "quiet" product introductions shortly after expos, I can't recall when they've done them so shortly BEFORE an expo. At this point it almost makes more sense for them to just wait and have Steve do the honors. Anything they unveil now, Steve is going to have to mention anyway. Not that I take any particular pleasure in this, as I'm one of the great unwashed who are waiting for a new 15-inch PowerBook...

As for their Web page, meh. They could always slap the G5 back there. That's where their marketing push is and it certainly makes sense for their Web site to support that. They could put the iPod/VW promo up. They could put a nice picture of Steve's jet up there. With Apple there is just no telling.

I'm also thinking about the reports that there are lots of iMacs in the channel. That seems to indicate that updates will come later rather than sooner -- maybe a quiet update AFTER Paris, as the last updates came several weeks after MWSF.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    h4wkh4wk Posts: 11member
    So........ Who has the magic crystal ball this week???? Or should I say Pandoras box..........

Since there are 2 expos coming up do you think the new products, updates, blah blah......... will be divided amongst them or would Steve save the best for Paris? (AlPB 15" maybe???)

I feel as though I am grasping for the slightest comment, (a possible product engineer perhaps) here along with the rest of the people waiting for a 15" update.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, it looks like they're going to wait for Paris. Now they're pushing DVD Studio Pro 2 on the main page.

Can we say "STALLING?"

EDIT: Looks like I was right after all.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Well, it looks like they're going to wait for Paris. Now they're pushing DVD Studio Pro 2 on the main page.

Can we say "STALLING?"

I noticed a couple things today. First, they seem to be changing the large display on the webpage more frequently --- DVD Studio Pro today makes about four or five weeks when the front page has been changed weekly. Second, all five flavors of PowerBook are now offered under the "Special Deals" section. I haven't seen 15" PowerBooks there for over a month.

Someone brighter than I will have to figure out if these tea leaves mean anything.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Can we say "STALLING?"

"Stalling" is what I'm thinking as well, CosmoNut. I seriously doubt that Apple will introduce new hardware less than two weeks before their European mega-pep-rally. At this point I expect to wait for new hardware until Steve Jobs' Apple Expo Paris keynote, at the very least.

On the positive side, I just got a free Wintel box from work to take home. They figured it was cheaper to give away this old PII box no-strings-attached than to pay a recycling fee. I couldn't say no to a free computer, even though it runs Winblows. It will be the first Wintel box in this household, and will probably replace the 5 year-old Bondi iMac. \

Back on topic, I really hope Steve Jobs pulls a PowerBook-rabbit out of his hat in Paris. Anything less will be a major disappointment.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 27
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I have to say: I was going in to this morning with a secret hope/wish that I'd check Apple's main page about noon or so and see the new PowerBooks sitting there.

But yeah, with only two week until Paris...I'm guessing nothing until then. What about that Seybold thing? That's next week, right? Any chance of anything announced/unveiled there? Probably not, huh?

Okay then, two more weeks...we'll see what's what. Murbot's all but got me convinced on the 12" PowerBook (as opposed to an iBook) and, deep down, I know that's probably a smarter choice for what I do.

I would LOVE the Rev. B 12" model to magically be brought in line with the larger ones (FireWire 800, DVI, L3 cache, maybe even the lighted keyboard, etc.). If that came to be, talk about the easiest decision in the history of the world!

I'd buy that puppy, hands down, and take some of the money I saved by not getting the 15" model and put it toward a 20" Cinema Display to use with it at home!

THAT'S a gorgeous display! I like it better, for some reason, than the 23" display! Spent a lot of time with the 20" display in Atlanta this past Saturday and holy cow...very nice!
  • Reply 8 of 27
    bigsbigs Posts: 12member
    Too bad you can't hook that Cinema Display up to your 12" PB without an (expensive) VGA-to-DVI/ADC adapter.. maybe you should get a 15" instead :P
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Escher....

A P2 to replace your G3 iMac ????

I wouldn't recomend it .... run it along side your iMac, but don't replace it !

I run a Celeron along side a iMac266 and it is NOT any faster (about equal) while running XP. ... It does, however, blow VPC out of the water (duh!)... It's networked to my Airport, so I can move files over there when I need to run a windows program .... what would take 5 hours on VPC can be acomplished in 5 minutes on the PC ...

And I get to use OSX the rest of the time ....
  • Reply 10 of 27
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I would LOVE the Rev. B 12" model to magically be brought in line with the larger ones (FireWire 800, DVI, L3 cache, maybe even the lighted keyboard, etc.). If that came to be, talk about the easiest decision in the history of the world!

No kidding, pscates! I'm also hoping the widespread rumor that the Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook will be thinner is true. FireWire 800 is probably more likely than DVI-out, even though I would prefer the latter over the former. But with Apple, you never know (until the actual announcement). I'm keeping my fingers crossed and always stay near a piece of wood (i.e. my head). [sound of Escher knocking on his wooden desk]

Quote:

Originally posted by Bigs

Too bad you can't hook that Cinema Display up to your 12" PB without an (expensive) VGA-to-DVI/ADC adapter.. maybe you should get a 15" instead :P

Bigs: pscates was referring to a Rev.B 12-inch PowerBook with hoped-for DVI-out, which would only require Apple's $100 DVI-to-ADC adapter to run a Cinema Display.

Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

Escher....

A P2 to replace your G3 iMac ????

I wouldn't recomend it .... run it along side your iMac, but don't replace it !

Thanks for your thoughts, KingOfSomewhereHot. Don't worry, I haven't decided whether to keep the iMac in the short term. In any case, the Wintel box is definitely meant as an alternative to VPC, mainly so that my wife can work at home without any compatibility/support issues. As soon as finances allow, I'll get either a PowerMac (G4 or G5) or an updated 12-inch PowerBook to run alongside the PC, sharing a dual-input LCD. In the meantime, my iBook already runs, and will continue to run, Mac OS X.

Escher
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigs

Too bad you didn't notice where I spoke of a Rev. B 12" model hopefully having DVI so I could do it in the same manner of the 15" and 17" PowerBooks.

• Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Can we say "STALLING?"

Exactly.

If the G5s were not delayed they would have been able to leave the "Now Shiping" graphic up as the main picture on the front page, but with the shipping problems they have had to find some pinch hitters to fill the void and divert attention away form that mess until the Paris Expo or whenever they can announce Pbooks/iMacs.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I hate to say I told you so, but...

http://www.apple.com/imac

http://www.apple.com/ipod

I hate it when I'm right.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Which makes you wonder what's on the slate for Paris...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I think Paris will be all about the letter "P":

Panther and PowerBooks. Demoing one, unveiling the other.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I think Paris will be all about the letter "P":

Panther and PowerBooks. Demoing one, unveiling the other.

Good use of alliteration! "Paris, Panther, and PowerBooks!" I like it! Looks like a headline we may see next week!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

I hate to say I told you so, but...

http://www.apple.com/imac

http://www.apple.com/ipod

I hate it when I'm right.

Okay Mr. Know-It-All , when will we see new PowerBooks?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I guess

1GHz 12" Mini Me

1GHz 15" Ai

1.3GHz 15" Ai

1.3GHz Lapzilla
  • Reply 19 of 27
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Good use of alliteration! "Paris, Panther, and PowerBooks!" I like it! Looks like a headline we may see next week!

Or a general PH*CK! when the other "P"s don't Pan out.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Good use of alliteration...

Not only that, but wasn't it cool how I used the same letter at the first of all three words!