Safari Discussion

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What needs to be changed in Safari, What has changed..

current builds

>>problems

>>improvements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    >>bump this to software.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    /me dropkicks the thread over to Software.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm really surprised (perturbed, angered, annoyed, botherd, etc.) by safari being a full release (1.0) and yet not animating images correctly. i used to be able to see the little dude stick his tongue out at me, now i only get that at work on a pc. incomprehensible. then again, i havent used safari, or a gui browser in a little while on my mac, so maybe they have updated that.
  • Reply 4 of 63
    It needs a throbber. This is high priority.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

i like how it doesn't have a throbber. although i would like it if the progress bar still worked behind the text, when its selected, or if you're writing in it. sometimes i go to a page, it takes a little while then i decide to go elsewhere. but if i see its near done, while i'm typing i wouldn't go to the second place so quickly.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've seen the progress bar confuse a few people. They see it stop on the "s" in https:// and think it means that the "s" had something to do with it. But I think it's bettter than having it on the bottom.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

I definitely agree. Those ripples make it load faster. Honestly, they do.

Here's my real wishlist for Safari:

1. Mini progress bars on each tab

2. Bookmarks/folders on the side (like drives/folders in Panther)

3. A Customise Toolbar sheet. Most other mac apps have them.

4.A way to search other sites/services from the google window (why not be able to have a little menu come down and give you choices of searching Amazon, Google Images, etc?)

Cubedude-what kind of addresses begin in https://? I've never seen any.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I definitely agree. Those ripples make it load faster. Honestly, they do.

Cubedude-what kind of addresses begin in https://? I've never seen any.

It's secure http. It's used in banking and stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    How can I tell if it is loading or not? No, cheap animations are the only way to go.

But I do think a sidebar with something useful in it would be a good addition.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    I'd like to see Safari implement a couple of OmniWeb's features:

- More sophisticated cookie management (e.g., accept all cookies and delete at end of session; accept or reject cookies automatically on a domain by domain basis).

- Ability to spoof other browsers. I know this can be done with Safari Enhancer or via the terminal, but it should be accessible in preferences with the basic installation.

Yesterday I noticed that Safari was having trouble with an FTP site (it would hang without initiating the download). However, IE had trouble with the same site and only OmniWeb actually worked properly. I don't use FTP often enough to know if this is a Safari issue or if I just hit a badly implemented site.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I would like if there was somewhere that told you the URL of a link before you click it, I don't like blindly clicking on links.

I would like if it had flawless java compatibility especially with windows stuff, apple touts it as having the best java support of the mac browsers, but if that was true I wouldn't keep camino and omni around.

I'm starting to like safari now, I got a new skin for it(aqua) and I fixed the problem with it crashing all the time. It is my primary browser now, but yes, it does need a little work.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I would like if there was somewhere that told you the URL of a link before you click it, I don't like blindly clicking on links.

You mean in the status bar as you mouse-over the link? I thought Safari already did that.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Quote:

You mean in the status bar as you mouse-over the link? I thought Safari already did that.

it does. but sometimes, the status bar isn't there (like if the prefs get corrupted). command-\\ toggles it. it can also be switched on and off in the 'View' menu.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

it does. but sometimes, the status bar isn't there (like if the prefs get corrupted). command-\\ toggles it. it can also be switched on and off in the 'View' menu.

excellent! safari just got a lot better for me...thanks.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Is there a way to stop safari from caching pages?
  • Reply 16 of 63
    That's what I also would like to find out. I frequently have to empty Safari's cache manually...

• Reply 17 of 63
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I'm guessing if there's a cache folder for Safari and you set it so that you can't write files to it, it won't save cache. The same thing works for site icons, but I don't know if it will work for cache.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Is there a way to stop safari from caching pages?

Yes (AFAIK). Get Safari Enhancer, availiable here, and, mericifully, free.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I'd like to switch from Mozilla (as much as I love it), but there are two deal breakers for me.

1. I type urls frequently. In Mozilla I can simply click in the url bar (is that what it's called?) and it highlights the entire thing.

In Safari, it just places the cursor where ever I've clicked.

Petty I know, but that's how I navigate and Safari slows me down.

2. I hate the iTunes-style look when you go to manage your bookmarks.

Everything popping up at me reminds me of XP.

Being a .Mac user from the beginning, I'd love to use Safari as my main browser and take advantage of syncing my bookmarks where ever I am, but Safari isn't there yet.
  • Reply 20 of 63
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I don't like the bookmark management system. It's impossible to put a bookmark in the main bookmark area (not the menu or toolbar) without putting it in a folder. I don't keep any bookmarks in the big bookmark management window anyway, they all go in my toolbar or in the bookmark menu where I can quickly get to them. Maybe the big management window should be just for managing bookmarks in the menu.

I don't care whether there's a throbber or not but sometimes I'd like one.

I'd like the Stop and Reload buttons to be separate. Sometimes I want to stop loading a page so I click the button, but the mouse click doesn't register until after the page is done loading and the button has changed to Reload, at which point the problem is made worse because the page has begun reloading again.

Windows should cascade properly. It's quite stupid how windows will be created that go off the screen. Internet Explorer can cascade properly. New windows are smaller than previous ones, and shifted down and to the right. In Safari it seems like new windows are full screen windows that have been moved a bit to the right for no good reason. I installed the FullScreenSafari application enhancer to fix this but I know that it's still a problem because I saw it with version 1.0 before installing the fix.

I hate it when web browsers select the entire location bar when you click once! If I ever want to select the whole thing, I just triple-click it. Or I click and press command-A, or I click and drag. You don't even have to drag the whole thing. Just put your cursor to the right of the end of the address, and drag downwards and to the left. Once the cursor leaves the location bar, the entire thing will be selected. This is a consistency thing, because that's how it works with all other text in all other applications (other than some other browsers). I think IE gives you a choice of whether to select the whole thing or to just place the cursor there, so I'd like it if Safari would give you a choice too.