What is Apple's current market share? REALLY?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I can imagine this being asked many times before. ¬_¬

But what is it at right now? I've heard it vary anywhere from 2 to 11%. Does anybody know for sure?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Apple may be doing some cool things, but not enough to get to 11% marketshare that fast. Don't get me wrong, I think what they are doing is awsome.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i believe it is between 3-5%. when apple started their switch campaign, they had a tagline like '5 down, 95 to go', i think, implying 5% mkt share.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I always hear "3-5%" as well. Therefore I split the difference for my sig, and float comfortably between the two.

• Reply 4 of 8
    When people guesstimate market share what criteria do they use? Is it percentage of sales over x years or is installed user base?

Do they include all the giant companies still slogging away on Pentium II's running Windows 98?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Apple's marketshare hovers around 2.5% if you compare their quarterly or yearly shipment numbers against the Gartner or IDC global shipment estimates. Apple's installed base is what's estimated at between 3-5%.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    It's closer to 2.2% right now. Earlier this year it was 1.9%.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Apple's marketshare hovers around 2.5% if you compare their quarterly or yearly shipment numbers against the Gartner or IDC global shipment estimates. Apple's installed base is what's estimated at between 3-5%.

I thought the installed base was estimated to be closer to 10%, or even higher.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

It's closer to 2.2% right now. Earlier this year it was 1.9%.

Yeah, that's likely due to Gartner and IDC more actively tracking white-box sales. Their 2002 estimates were revised recently with an additional 15M or so units tallied.