Warning: Opinions Within

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Who is your favorite comedian?

I was just thinking about all the comedy sound files i got in itunes, and it seemed a bit short. I got a bunch of Chris Rock, Seinfeld, Richard Prior, some Lewis Black, Dennis Leary and others. All told about 20 hours, but I need more. And I figured, maybe some of you AIrs would have some suggestions to add to my repetiore. And, maybe while we're at it, we can throw in a heated debate at who is the greatest comedian of all time. To be "fair and balanced," we can take me out of the running. Ooh, and to keep the debate reasonable, if you nominate someone as the funniest person, you have to back it up with textual versions of their jokes.

I think one of my favorites is Brian Regan. I've seen his show on comcen a bunch of times, and its always funny. Someone bootlegged one of his shows and it got swapped around campus last year, and I really liked that one. Here's a joke of his (probably not an exact quote), "I hate when your driving with a friend, and they dont buckle their seatbelt right away. But they will when u make a goofy turn or something... So, what I do, when they look down to buckle, I go 'AAAh AAAh...'"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Sam Kinison was tremendously funny in my opinion. Ellen DeGeneres had an absolutely killer stand-up set.

Eddie Murphy on Raw and Delirious, ummm... Steven Wright is very funny but a bit of an acquired taste. George Carlin of course (though I never really thought he was incredibly funny) Dennis Miller.

I haven't seen it in years but Kevin Neeland had quite a funny stand up act as well.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Bill Hicks. No contest.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Mel Brooks.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    i like a guy named rick reynolds who had a one man show called "only the truth is funny" that i can listen to over and over again.

i grew up listening to the smothers brothers and when mom wasn't looking bill cosby. (he was too adult for me!?)

lenny bruce at carnegie hall is tremendous. most of his early stuff is great but his later stuff is just him talking about his busts, and it gets a bit much.

(historical note: carlin was arrested for obscenity in milwaukee for doing the "seven words" routine, joining lenny bruce, wendy o williams and g.g. allin, all arrested for being obscene in cream city.)

but my favorite is dick gregory, funny as hell but really makes you think.

most people don't think of him as a comedian today, an activist and a health guru.

luckily most of gregory's and bruce's stuff is still in print.

oh yeah and pauly shore, when he says "criiispy mel on"

not really.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Andy Kaufman, but audio files of his routines would be remarkably unfunny.

Lenny Bruce.

And Norm McDonald-just because he actually isn't funny at all but his constant comedic failure is hilarious.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Steve Martin. "Wild and Crazy Guy" is classic stuff.

His latest book was brilliantly titled.

Not Just Drivel. Pure Drivel!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Chris Rock
  • Reply 8 of 12
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Actually, the early Tim Allen stuff was fall over funny. Ellen Degeneres is also quite good IMO. Eddie Izzard and John Stewart are also very funny, but more in that Jonathan Winters and Robin Williams (before he got all serious, then saccharine, then we all got sick of him) improvisational and conversational way.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    You are all breaking the rules . You have to write out, or atleast link to, one of their jokes, so we can compare them.

Here's a Seinfeld joke, to keep you entertained. "Men and women will never understand eachother. My advice for you is to just stop thinking about it... I will never understand how you can take boiling hot wax. Pour it on to your upper thigh. Rip the hair out by the root... [now faster tempo] and still be afraid of a spider."
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I'm lazy. Hence no links in first post. Now....here are some links.

Lenny Bruce: Transcripts of Bruce's acts that landed him in court

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj...onologues.html

Andy Kaufman:

Andy on some weird cable access show from the early eighties. A bit tedious, but such is Andy Kaufman. At the end, he wrestles a women.

http://www.crankymediaguy.com/tv/pagani-kaufman.html

Sound clips of Andy in the deplorable Windows Media rubbish:

http://andykaufman.jvlnet.com/sound.htm
  • Reply 11 of 12
    you asked for it...

Monty Python's Life of Brian:

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/pilate.txt ~ best experienced as video or audio

click for (Vivo) Video clip page

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/french.txt ~ Taunting by the French.

find more Completely Useless Web Stuff