Toast 6 has been released.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
It seems, to my untrained eye, not to sport that many important new features. Of course, the package was already quite complete to begin with, and it's hard for anyone to keep reinventing hot water. And I just haven't had any issues with Toast lately. Still, I look forward to trying out the app. Supervideo support might be something nice, if you're into that. And creating videocds using only your pictures. Nice since most modern DVD players support the VCD format.

Any reactions?

Edit: Come to think of it, this point update might very well have Panther compatibility as its most important feature. Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

It seems, to my untrained eye, not to sport that many important new features. Of course, the package was already quite complete to begin with, and it's hard for anyone to keep reinventing hot water. And I just haven't had any issues with Toast lately. Still, I look forward to trying out the app. Supervideo support might be something nice, if you're into that. And creating videocds using only your pictures. Nice since most modern DVD players support the VCD format.

Any reactions?

Edit: Come to think of it, this point update might very well have Panther compatibility as its most important feature. Can anyone confirm?

I've never had reason to complain when using Toast it does it's job unfailingly. I do like the new pictures slideshow feature, it was reviewed in MacUser UK. I had used iMovie before to do a similar job to make a slideshow to play on a VCD compatible DVD player but it was very time consuming. I would like to have a play with that feature, hopefully the results are somewhat similar to when you export pictures as a screensaver in iPhoto? That always looks cool. As long as you can put some decent titling in the Toast show then for me it would look like a pretty serious purchasing prospect.

An annoying thing happened though when I bought Toast 5, Roxio started bundling it with Jam for a little extra cash, d;oh!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    SVCD and real VCDs are the only new useful thing. Um hello Roxio add OVERburning to DVD and CD burning and "CD paranoia ripping" or whatever so I don't need to use FireStarter FX!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    For a long time, Roxio's site had a page explaining that their OS X software didn't support UDF (aka DirectCD, aka Drag-to-Disc), but that they were "working on it". (Support had been available for UDF in earlier versions of Toast for OS 9. It has been available all along for Windows users as a part of the Easy CD package.)

The first time I saw that page was about two years ago. It doesn't seem anyone's been working on UDF very hard, however. OS X has read-only UDF support built in, but the major utility of UDF is read/write access by which you can treat optical media more like a floppy disk.