Which to upgrade,Video Card or RAM for G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I can either put the bucks toward more ram for a dual 2gig G5 or toward upgrading the video card from the ATI 9600 to the 9800 Pro.

Which would you choose?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    It all depends on what you do. How much more RAM could you add?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    The 9800Pro is a $300 upgrade.

I was thinking of getting at least a pair of 512mb modules which is somewhere about $200.

I don't play games but I do Photoshop work on a 23" display.

The thing is it's either one or the other, either I spend the money on ram or the video card.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

The 9800Pro is a $300 upgrade.

I was thinking of getting at least a pair of 512mb modules which is somewhere about $200.

I don't play games but I do Photoshop work on a 23" display.

The thing is it's either one or the other, either I spent the money on ram or the video card.

I recommmend RAM.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

I recommmend RAM.

Me too. Photoshop relies on processors and RAM. The only thing that a high-end GPU will improve is the smoothness of, say, zooming and scrolling across the document. But when it comes time to render, the processor and RAM will be the ones doing the real work.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Check out 'Data Memory Solutions', they have 1GB G5 RAM for under $175.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Check out 'Data Memory Solutions', they have 1GB G5 RAM for under $175.

I wouldn't risk it...that doesn't seem like quality RAM. I'd stick with Apple approved stuff.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Get the video card. You can always add RAM a few months down the road when you have more money. Getting the wrong video card now and wishing you had upgraded will be a bad deal. You'll have to trash your current card and pay for an entire new card. Money wasted.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The real question is how much RAM you already have. If it is less than 2 GB, then I would go with the RAM. If you already have allotted for 2 GB in your purchase then go for the video upgrade. Memory makes everything better.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 10
    http://www.crucial.com is the place to get ram. Select apple, powermac, then your model.. $194 for 2 512mb sticks of quality memory.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    If you had a single processor, an upgrade from a 5200 to a 9600 Pro is a no brainer for $50.00 extra. Its quite a bit better.

THe 9800 Pro is better but even then, I am not sure its worth forking over another $300.00.

Another 1 GB ram would give performance increases across the board I would think.

I canceled my dual as I got a 1.6 stock machine here locally yesterday.

I like it a lot but still not sure what to do.

Considering a 1.8 GHz machine equipped with a 9600 Pro and Bluetooth.

I already have an extra 1 GB or DC3200 ram that I had got for the dual which is not being used to its full potential in the 1.6 machine. The 1.8 has more slots. The hard drive is not a huge issue of course Apple charges an extra $125 to go from 80 to 160 which is probably a $60 premium.

It would still come out almost exactly $1000.00 less than than the dual and 9800 Pro I had on order.

Never been so uncertain in my life.

In some cases, an iMac is good enough but the large screen capabilities of a Power Mac is what really makes me want a Power Mac. I love the 20" Cinema I have. The iMac does have pretty crap video now.

I got a freakin headache now just thinking all this over.