Paging all Christians: I Need Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(As if you didn't know that.)

OK, OK, OK, I?m no friend of the judge in Alabammy and I?m a declared godless bastard.

But now I need help in identifying what I think is a Biblical quote. I found it engraved on a rock in the semi-desert south of the Kalahari in South Africa?s Northern Cape (really) and I?m wondering if anyone here with some knowledge of scripture knows where it might be from.

?And call on me in your old age and I will help you and you must honour me.?

It was written in a sort of half-Dutch, half-Afrikaans and this is the best translation I?ve been able to find. So it might not be quite recogniseable.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The closest I could think of is from the Boook of Isaiah, chapter 46

"And even to your old age I am he; and even to hoar hairs will I carry you: I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you."

Close enough?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you because you are a Godless bastard.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Definitely a Biblical quote as they never give anything for nothing...actually it reminds me of something I read this morning over coffee...in Revelation, before chapter 10...I'll look again.

Or it's a R.E.M. song...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I know the answer but I'm not going to tell you because you are a Godless bastard.

" And whom amongst you hearing your children calling out in hunger would feed them rocks. "

You miserable....Bugger...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Hilarious answer! Bravo!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

" I need help in identifying what I think is a Biblical quote. I found it engraved on a rock in the semi-desert south of the Kalahari in South Africa?s Northern Cape (really) and I?m wondering if anyone here with some knowledge of scripture knows where it might be from.

?And call on me in your old age and I will help you and you must honour me.?

It was written in a sort of half-Dutch, half-Afrikaans and this is the best translation I?ve been able to find. So it might not be quite recogniseable.

Hassan, need more clues..

Any pictures. ?

Was writing professionally done or amatuerish..?

Were you there, or did you see it from some other source. ?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thanks for your help.

BRussell apart.

Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Hassan, need more clues..

Any pictures. ?

Was writing professionally done or amatuerish..?

Were you there, or did you see it from some other source. ?

The engraving's made between 1915 and 1939, I reckon. There's other graffiti (initials and names) dated nearby. The writing's made by a Boer sheep farmer I think: the rock is on top of an outcrop on the edge of a sheep farm of some 12,000 sq. hectares in a place called the Northern Cape in South Africa, south of the Orange River. I took a photograph of it.

The text on the rock reads:

PS 50-15

En roep my aan in die dag van ben oudheid: Ek sal jou uit help, en jy moet my eep.

Anyone here with any Dutch / Afrikaans? Is 'PS 50-15' a Bible reference?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Gotcha.

Psalms 50-15

"And in the day of trouble great

see that thou shalt call upon me;

I will deliver thee, and thou

my name shalt glorify."

Thank-you to my flatmate and her King James Bible.

Not 'days of age' 'day of trouble'.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

The text on the rock reads:

PS 50-15

" En roep my aan in die dag van ben oudheid: Ek sal jou uit help, en jy moet my eep. " Is 'PS 50-15' a Bible reference?

Case solved...

PS 50 - 15 is Psalm 50~15

" And call upon me in the day of trouble : I will deliver thee, and thou shaly glorify me " KJ V
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Dang...nabbit..Beat me to the punch....