New Mac needs Software.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, so I'm a switcher. I just bought my first brand new 12 " powerbook, and it'll be here next week.

So now the question is, 'now what?'

I'm getting a mac, what am I going to need to put on it? I'm looking to spend as little money as possible here, and I don't want ohave to fuss with Unix just yet (I won't have time this semester to learn what amounst to TWO new OS's.) Especially helpful would be suggestions of free options that can be used as stopgaps while I raise money for all this software I'm going to need.

I need a word processor, preferably with full Office compatibility - I'm hoping to not have to shell out for MS Office if I can avoid it, but I need Powerpoint or equivalent, and I need 100 % word compatibility. I can do without outlook/access/excel. But Word and Powerpoint or COMPATIBLE equivalents are a must.

I'm going to need a good Multi-IM client. AIM and MSN are musts. I'll use both seperately if need be, but I'd rather not. I despise windowclutter.

I need a web browser that can handle tabbed browsing. I know Mozilla is ported, but have heard not so good things?

Some good P2P action would be helpful.

But more importantly than specific niches I need filled are all the little programs you folks use that give you amusement or make your lives easier.

Part of the reason I switched was it seemed like all the really cool, simple, free/shareware programs of the sort that i admittedly love to play with, are on the mac. I've heard great things about Konfabulator, and the (very non-free) Boswell. Anybody care to enlighten me about those two?

Also, what do you reccomend?

And pleas, no links to Versiontracker. I know about Versiontracker (I've done at least that much of my homework). I don't want to know where to get stuff. I want to know what stuff to get.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Welcome CaptainPsyko.

I'd suggest you wait until you get the Powerbook, give yourself a week or two to get used to it and check out all the stuff that comes with it. Then decide what you need, get advice if necessary, and Bob's your uncle.

CC
  • Reply 2 of 13
    g-dogg-dog Posts: 171member
    As far as Powerpoint stuff, go with Apple's Keynote. It's much cleaner, easier to use and compatible with Powerpoint.

For Word, get yourself a copy of Panther (Next big revision to the Mac OS X Operating System) when it comes out, it has word compatibility built into Text Editor. Or you can download Open Office is free but it kinda goes into the Unix stuff a bit.

And for a Multi-IM client go with Proteus, Fire, or Adium. However, MSN most likely won't work for long considering that Microsoft just announced that they were going to make a closed protocol, (like it wasn't "closed" already though) so that 3rd party clients won't be able to get in. But we'll wait to see what happens there before saying for sure.

Web Browsing:

Safari - Apple's

Firebird - Lightweight equiv. to Mozilla

Both have Tabs and are speedy and in very active development

P2P:

Poisened

Acquisition

mlMac

These are all great choices. Lotsa files, good downloads.

BUt if I may stick in, iTunes Music Store is a very very good and legit way of getting music. At $.99 a song, huge and ever expanding selection, it is awesome. Better yet, it's built into iTunes itself.

Niche Shareware/Freeware Apps I would recommend:

StepMania - Free - DDR game

Watson - $29 - Too much time to completely describe it, just go to the website

VLC - Free - Media player that will play almost anything you throw at it

Airburst - $9.95 - Pop goes the bubble

MacMess - Free - NES emulator

NetNewsWire - $29.95 - RSS News reader, all your news in one spot

Konfabulator (you already know about this one of course)

Graphic Converter - $30 - Name says it all

Rentals-r-uS - Free - Soon to be released by yours truly, Gets Blockbuster movie/game lists and provides a nice easy way to view and then if you have an iPod take the lists with you to the movie store.

WireTap - Free - Records any Audio that can be output through your computer speakers

Oh, and before I forget.

Welcome to the world of Mac,

I guarantee you'll never look back.

So have lotsa fun,

Because unlike when you use windows,

You'll never run for a gun.

OS X is like a rock,

You'll feel like the new guy on the block.

Having a Mac will make your dreams come true,

And when you feel distressed,

Just remember one thing,

You'll never have to see the Windows' deathly screen of Blue.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Don't forget that Microsoft word is available for OS X.

it's also remarkably excellent.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Don't forget that Microsoft word is available for OS X.

it's also remarkably excellent.

Oops, yup I forgot that one. But it is a tad expensive though.

But you are correct, it is "remarkably excellent."

In fact Office for OS X is much much much (did I forget a much?) better than its windows counterpart.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    to get a pretty competent overview of p2p on mac:

http://www.mac-p2p.com/

it seems to be an intelligently put together guide.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Thanks folks. I'd like something more full featured than a text editor, and I'd like to not spend as much as office.

I used OpenOffice on Windows, and the reason I specifically stipulated no Unix was because I don't want to deal with OpenOffice's half finished port job and the workarounds to get to it.

Basically, if Keynote + a word equivalent will cost more than Office Student aedition, I'm going with microsoft.

If I can get Keynote + a Word Processor for less, thats the way I'll go.

As to the Itunes store.

Yea, I know - but thats not why I want a P2P. I buy any music I can buy.

But I'm somewhat obscurely oriented in my tastes, and it's not quite so easy to try a track through a mainstream distro source.

God I'm gonna miss Soulseek when I switch.

Is the website for Watson www.watson.com ?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The Word Equivalent (TextEdit with Panther) is free... So you are only paying for Keynote. Though a disk image of Office. X is rather prevalent on many p2p networks
  • Reply 8 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chealion

The Word Equivalent (TextEdit with Panther) is free... So you are only paying for Keynote. Though a disk image of Office. X is rather prevalent on many p2p networks

Poisoned is THE Mac P2P client of choice. Blows everything else away.

You can buy Microsoft word seperately, if you don't need all of Office.

Fire is a nice multi-messaging client, and it's free. Proteus is a distant second.

And Safari is the obvious browser choice.

Chealion: don't mention anyting of pirated software on this board. I made that mistake, and the moderators mean business.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Ideas:

AppleWorks. Some people don't like it. I think it's fine. It has basic word proc, spreadsheet, database, and painting & drawing models. $79-89.

OpenOffice. Doesn't really look like OS X. But it's not too hard to install, I believe, and it works much like the Mac OS. $0. It's about as powerful as Office 97-2000.

Office v.X S&T edition. You're supposed to be a student or teacher, but they don't check, so it's an idea. $99 from Amazon.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaptainPsyko

Okay, so I'm a switcher. I just bought my first brand new 12 " powerbook, and it'll be here next week.

So now the question is, 'now what?'

I'm getting a mac, what am I going to need to put on it? I'm looking to spend as little money as possible here, and I don't want ohave to fuss with Unix just yet (I won't have time this semester to learn what amounst to TWO new OS's.) Especially helpful would be suggestions of free options that can be used as stopgaps while I raise money for all this software I'm going to need.

I need a word processor, preferably with full Office compatibility - I'm hoping to not have to shell out for MS Office if I can avoid it, but I need Powerpoint or equivalent, and I need 100 % word compatibility. I can do without outlook/access/excel. But Word and Powerpoint or COMPATIBLE equivalents are a must.

I'm going to need a good Multi-IM client. AIM and MSN are musts. I'll use both seperately if need be, but I'd rather not. I despise windowclutter.

I need a web browser that can handle tabbed browsing. I know Mozilla is ported, but have heard not so good things?

Some good P2P action would be helpful.

But more importantly than specific niches I need filled are all the little programs you folks use that give you amusement or make your lives easier.

Part of the reason I switched was it seemed like all the really cool, simple, free/shareware programs of the sort that i admittedly love to play with, are on the mac. I've heard great things about Konfabulator, and the (very non-free) Boswell. Anybody care to enlighten me about those two?

Also, what do you reccomend?

And pleas, no links to Versiontracker. I know about Versiontracker (I've done at least that much of my homework). I don't want to know where to get stuff. I want to know what stuff to get.

Browsers:

Safari. Tabs, fast, nice, I use it.

Firebird. Doesn't look much like OS X, but runs great. By the Mozilla team.

Camino. By the Mozilla team. Looks like OS X, runs good, some say it's crashy.

All of the above have tabs. When you're Mac comes it will have IE on it. You can use this to download one of the above browsers. Safari at apple.com/safari, others at mozilla.org.

Posioned is a P2P app.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by CaptainPsyko

Is the website for Watson www.watson.com ?

it's actually www.karelia.com
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Ideas:

AppleWorks. Some people don't like it. I think it's fine. It has basic word proc, spreadsheet, database, and painting & drawing models. $79-89.

OpenOffice. Doesn't really look like OS X. But it's not too hard to install, I believe, and it works much like the Mac OS. $0. It's about as powerful as Office 97-2000.

Office v.X S&T edition. You're supposed to be a student or teacher, but they don't check, so it's an idea. $99 from Amazon.

I'd second Appleworks. It works fine for me and I transfer files from Word to AW and back all the time. It amazes me that more people don't know that AW can do this. It used to just be a feature of the edu version but i'm sure i read somewhere that all varsions now have the translators. Maybe someone could update me on this?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    AW isn't great, but it's cheaper than that for ed pricing. Last I checked it was $39 or something. Do yourself a favor and download it from someplace. It's not worth the money, but it works ok.

Unfortunately, WP is the weakest part of the Mac's productivity line up. :/ I'm writing my dissertation in TextEdit of all things....