Is Adobe paranoid?

rokrok
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
seriously, check out the article on ThinkSecret.com.

personally, they have a point in that apple is unpredictable, but i just cannot conceive that apple would try to undercut the bread-and-butter pro design apps that everyone swears by.

is adobe still harboring a grudge over the final cut vs. premeire debacle? the iphoto 3 (or 4 -- sooner or later, you know apple's gonna bump up those tools) vs. photoshop elements fight looming?

and didn't apple AND adobe offer G4's and free copies of InDesign at the turn of the year?

i think adobe needs to splash some water on their face and wake up to the real threat of microsoft deciding to just buy macromedia and installing all of their apps by default in the office suite. (edit: between macromedia and corel, microsoft could fashion some design franken-suite to try to shove adobe out of yet another market (and corel is barely holding on these days)). that would keep ME up at night, if i were in their shoes.

(edit: oops. forgot linky-poo)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Apple is not that unpredictable. iPhoto is the only direct threat, and that's not saying much.

If and when Adobe drops the ball, Apple will step in. Premier sucked. Acrobat Reader was lackluster, and falling behind the Windows version in terms of feature parity.

Maybe they're worried because the releases of PS and Illustrator were s-l-o-w? If they give the Mac market second best, they should damn well expect Apple to take up the slack one way or another.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

the iphoto 3 (or 4 -- sooner or later, you know apple's gonna bump up those tools) vs. photoshop elements fight looming?

iPhoto is not a threat to PE. It's a threat to Photoshop Album, but iPhoto was out first, and the next version of PA is rumored to become available on Mac OS X too.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

iPhoto is not a threat to PE. It's a threat to Photoshop Album, but iPhoto was out first, and the next version of PA is rumored to become available on Mac OS X too.

wow, i hadn't even heard of album before this post. guess that's 'cause it's windows-only right now. that does seem to be a much more credible competitor.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    JLL

Some people are just "Stuck on Stupid"

"Adobe's pissed about iPhoto" As the poster above says. iPhoto was out before Adobe's lazy ass came out with a product. Why people even bring it up is silly.

Adobe and Apple have always competed. Today is nothing new other than Adobe is intent on growing its PC Marketshare.

We still have Macromedia and others so I'm not too sure Apple needs to compete here. Makes little sense.

Apple needs to focus on Business/Enteprise tools. Graphic Arts is a slow growth area.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Apple needs to focus on Business/Enteprise tools. Graphic Arts is a slow growth area.

Agreed.

As far as Adobe, I don't know when it happened, and by whom but somewhere in the early days of OS X someone decided that the Mac was no longer to be taken seriously. I have seen these signs for a while now. Am I worried? Hell no. Backstabbers never get any far. I'm confident Apple can make a better product if need be.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Agreed.

Backstabbers never get any far.

I assume you meant anywhere or very far...not a mix

and one name...Microsoft!
  • Reply 7 of 28
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Apple is not that unpredictable. iPhoto is the only direct threat, and that's not saying much.

If and when Adobe drops the ball, Apple will step in. Premier sucked. Acrobat Reader was lackluster, and falling behind the Windows version in terms of feature parity.

Maybe they're worried because the releases of PS and Illustrator were s-l-o-w? If they give the Mac market second best, they should damn well expect Apple to take up the slack one way or another.

I'm not much into the Adobe and Apple thing, but I really agree with that. Adobe Reader is slow as hell, and I just use Preview. Photoshop is good enough for me and I won't complain about that. I've never seen or used much else, besides GoLive, which I actually use.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Adobe Reader is so slow, that I just go ahead and use Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro to read my PDFs, too. I'm looking forward to Panther's super-charged Preview.

I hear Reader is slow on Windows, too. I think Adobe just overloaded the product with crap.

Kirk
  • Reply 9 of 28
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

I hear Reader is slow on Windows, too. I think Adobe just overloaded the product with crap.

Kirk

Agree. Adobe apps are getting so bloated these days.....just almost next to M$

Reader - 57MB vs Preview - 1.5MB

Illustrator 10 - 118 MB vs Freehand MX 47.5MB

InDesign 2 - 88MB vs QuarkXPress 5 - 45MB

Premiere 6.5 - 110MB vs Final Cut Pro 3 - 89MB

GoLive 6 - 86MB vs Dreamweaver MX - 22MB

Photoshop 7 - 198MB!!!!!!!

Adobe's apps are bigger than competitions....not to mention they are SLOWER....

3D apps like Cinema and Lightwave....they are very small. The application are around 8MB - 15MB. Now this is what I call "slim"
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Reader isn't slow on PCs...at least not close to the extent on Macs. It's not instant but its very close.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Reader - 57MB vs Preview - 1.5MB

Preview uses Quartz' PDF rendering and that's why it's that small.

Adobe Reader includes tons of plug-ins, and you can disable/delete most of them. My Reader starts in 4 seconds now.

Quote:

Photoshop 7 - 198MB!!!!!!!

Photoshop 7 includes two binaries: one for Mac OS X and one for Mac OS 9 plus it seems that you're including ImageReady, plug-ins and so on.

Photoshop itself is 18MB.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Photoshop 7 includes two binaries: one for Mac OS X and one for Mac OS 9 plus it seems that you're including ImageReady, plug-ins and so on.

Photoshop itself is 18MB.

Oh yeah.....I forgot to mention Image Ready...silly me

But that 198MB is the 'basic' install and no other 3rd party stuff
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Agree. Adobe apps are getting so bloated these days.....just almost next to M$

That is exactly what todays Adobe reminds me of, M$. In both bloated software and business ethics. It's all about making the most money with no interest once so ever about making a good competitive product. Spam the market with crappy software. Adobe thinks it has the monopoly in the graphics arena. Fools.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I want a fast Photoshop so badly..

Oh well. 512MB of RAM keeps me from force quitting it every time since it takes 10 seconds to quit after i tell it to without it. Not it takes around 4.

I only use GoLive and Photoshop, and they are both quite slow, in my opinion. GoLive's faster, and it makes sense, since it's smaller.

Or am I wrong on that point?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

It's all about making the most money with no interest once so ever about making a good competitive product. Spam the market with crappy software. Adobe thinks it has the monopoly in the graphics arena. Fools.

I'm not sure you get it...Apple isn't out to make you happy, they are out to make money. They HAVE to offer better product or else they'd go under. Simple as that.

Adobe DOES have a monopoly...there is no alternative to Photoshop. None. Their other apps are just extra. Until Photoshop has a competitor Adobe really has a monopoly. Dreamweaver and InDesign are Adobe's main problem.

...not to mention Apple's FCP but that is just for mac.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Well... There's Graphic Converter..
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Well... There's Graphic Converter..

• Reply 18 of 28
    Have you guys seen the interface of the new Window's only Premiere Pro?

My God....under XP it's very very cluttered.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    I dont think there is much news here. If i were any 3rd party software company, i would keep my eye on apple. They have repeatedly come to market with apps that slap down the competition (because they are usually free, or at least much better value). They don't know any better than you or I if apple is doing something like, but judging from the past, they're just choosing to be safe and keep a watchfull eye on ol' stevo.

-craig
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I'm not sure you get it...Apple isn't out to make you happy, they are out to make money.

I do get it. I think you missed my point.