More .mac freebies

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Only for .mac members: Sticky Brain 2 and Backup v2 (featuring backup using external drives finally).

Get your copies now!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    The only "freebie" I really want is a lower price for .Mac. Last year signing on for $50 was a no-brainer. Shelling out $100 this October won't be as easy, even with a $20 Apple Store gift certificate to entice me. \

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

The only "freebie" I really want is a lower price for .Mac. Last year signing on for $50 was a no-brainer. Shelling out $100 this October won't be as easy, even with a $20 Apple Store gift certificate to entice me. \

Escher

The renewal fee for current subscribers should not be $100 it should be $50. I am going to re-subscribe in November or whenever they send me an email, but $100 is too much. \
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Well, they still have about a month until everyone has to renew. Maybe they'll lower the prices. If not, I think I'll move to another host and use my own domain name. The other benefits of .Mac are only worth so much.

edit: Then again, maybe not. The setup fee for the host I'm looking at is $99, so maybe it is worth it to stay with .Mac.

\
  • Reply 4 of 10
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I'm addicted to my .Mac account, precisely because it gives me a stable, permanant email addres & webspace. The extra perks are just that: perks.

Provided I can scrounge up the cash (may have to sell my iPod), I'll renew this in October.

Oh, and StickyBrain? My god, I love it! This is a great replacement for Stickies, and a nice database system for storing clippings. I just need to get all my various notes into this thing.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I have never really looked into webspace but what is a good price?

100 dollars a year never seemed THAT bad too me. Especially considering you get a lot of neat perks and iDisk works so well in OS X.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I have never really looked into webspace but what is a good price?

100 dollars a year never seemed THAT bad too me. Especially considering you get a lot of neat perks and iDisk works so well in OS X.

$10-15 a month for around 100 meg, php, mysql, domain name service (not registration), a bajillion email accounts, forwarding, FTP access, etc.

.Mac is a really good deal for what it is. If they'd add php and mysql to it, it'd be a home-friggin'-run. Maybe some blogging/CMS tools, too.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 7 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

$10-15 a month for around 100 meg, php, mysql, domain name service (not registration), a bajillion email accounts, forwarding, FTP access, etc.

If you look around hard enough, you can find much better deals than that. I got 1gig of space, 100 email accounts, etc for a site on working for $83 for the year, including domain name registration. PHP/mySQL, the whole shebang. But I gladly renewed my .mac account because I'm tired of working hard to get computers to do what I want. They should just work and .mac does.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Can someone tell me whether it is worth it for a new Mac user to sign up to .Mac? I only see virus protection as something I'd use, and even then, it doesn't seem too important because Macs have few viruses.

I already have e-mail through my ISP, why would I want 10 more accounts? 100 MB of backup space is nice. What else does it offer?

Is it really worth it for $100?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alligator

Can someone tell me whether it is worth it for a new Mac user to sign up to .Mac? I only see virus protection as something I'd use, and even then, it doesn't seem too important because Macs have few viruses.

I already have e-mail through my ISP, why would I want 10 more accounts? 100 MB of backup space is nice. What else does it offer?

If you have more than one mac, iSync is really nice. But the question you've asked is a pretty good one, and for most people, Apple needs a better answer than what they have.

I suggest you take a spin around http://www.mac.com and see whether you think it's worth it to you. It is to me.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 10 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alligator

BTW, you only get one email account for the $100. You can add extra accounts at $10 a pop.

As far as why you would want it: I thought the same thing last year, but if you get used to using it, you'll wonder what you did without it. It's completely worth it for me. You get Backup - a great little program that makes life easier and safer. You get lots of little freebies, you get the best webmail available (when it's working, and it has been since a few months ago). If you have the money, go for it and see.