pangea replaced by intrepid

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The 12inch Powerbook developer notes is up:

<a href="http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerBook_G4_12inch/PowerBookG412inch.pdf"; target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerBook_G4_12inch/PowerBookG412inch.pdf</a>;

It reveals that apple has created a new integrated north and south bridge "intrepid" that replaces the Uni-North and Key Largo ICs of the 15 inch PBs. This is the same type of integrated north and south bridge IC that is used in the ibooks and the Flat Panel imacs.

Intrepid makes it much more likely that future imacs and ibooks will remain G4 but with DDR RAM for the forseeable future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    ..iBooks remain with the G4?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The documentation indicates that the 12" Powerbook will be able to have 1 GB of Ram. On the cinfiguration of RAM page there is a note saying 1 GB is the theoretical max and is reserved for future expansion. (pg 65)

From what Tate posted I guess my prediction (the day the 12" was released) was correct that future iMacs will uses the same architecture as the 12" Powerbook.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    "Future ibooks will go G4 and imacs will remain G4 for the forseeable future" was my original meaning. (jante99 understood the post though)

I had hoped to see dual 970 Powermacs and single 970 imacs by early 2004(if not sooner). The introduction of this new chipset convinces me that 970 imacs are a long way off. I find it hard to believe that Apple would invest in a U-2 style integerated chipset for only a few models when existing U-2 chips would have sufficed.

Many options exist though. MaxBus can run at 167MHz for dual G4 (currently 1.42GHz). This would indicate that single G4s at about 2.5GHz could be supported with the old technology. Motorola could probably produce 2.0GHz with the 13u process. If not...maybe IBM acquired the rights to MaxBus along with AltiVec and is reving up more than the 970.

It is just like Apple to continue using what works for as long as possible.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    [quote]Originally posted by tate:

<strong>The introduction of this new chipset convinces me that 970 imacs are a long way off. I find it hard to believe that Apple would invest in a U-2 style integerated chipset for only a few models when existing U-2 chips would have sufficed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who said it is a new design? It might as well be 2 years or so, but just didn't find its way into Macs until now.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by tate:

<strong>

I had hoped to see dual 970 Powermacs and single 970 imacs by early 2004(if not sooner). The introduction of this new chipset convinces me that 970 imacs are a long way off. I find it hard to believe that Apple would invest in a U-2 style integerated chipset for only a few models when existing U-2 chips would have sufficed.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Quite simply because the new "Intrepid" is cheaper/smaller to make. Keep in mind that the "Intrepid" can be used in future eMac/iMac/consumer machines.

Adjustments are made all the time. If something can be made cheaper, it will soon replace the expensive bit to keep profit margins