DMCA caused delay in G5?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I found this in a newsgroup article and wonder if anyone here would like to 'dig some digital dirt' on the subject.

Quote:

Simply put, DRM is a method of controlling how the consumer uses media. With a paperback, its pretty straightforward - you buy it, you can photocopy it (illegally or otherwise), and you can tear it up or throw it away. With DRM, the proposition is that you can buy it, but that you can't copy it - or use it in any other way not approved by the manufacturer (this was a reason the new Apple computer was late to market - they had to get permission for a non-Microsoft way to view DVD's).

Now, I think Apple has their OWN DVD player, not some M$ hackjob, but there is a lot of crazy *&%# going on out there when it comes to DRM. Is there any merit to this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hm, Outsider? anyway, more info would be needed: what exactly are the terms/restrictions on DVD playback for it to be considered "the Microsoft way?" I can take an educated guess, but if true, the differences are probably more subtle than my pedestrian knowledge of region codes, caching, screen drawing, licenses and whatnot. It does seem like DVDs can be a real pain for Apple to deal with -- OS X, now reportedly the G5's.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Hm, Outsider?

I just spent an hour reading DRM updates and happenings. This Apple thing is just a small snippit. From my perspective...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I just spent an hour reading DRM updates and happenings. This Apple thing is just a small snippit. From my perspective...

The title of your thread, is morre fitted for General discussion than AO, but the content of your post is not that much Apple related, so i won't move your post. However i don't see how DMCA can cause delay to the G5 ?

It's not because a crappy system will not work under G5 that people won't buy G5.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Oh my gosh. You are right. I forgot about General discussion and thought AO was the place for general hog-wash. Sorry.

Anyway, I thought the story was sketchy. I'll try to e-mail the author and see if they can shed some light on the subject._

8) cool
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    In order to make this thread more AO, um, friendly, I'll just say that Clinton f-ed up big time by signing the DMCA. I hope this document burns in hell.

Have a nice day.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

In order to make this thread more AO, um, friendly, I'll just say that Clinton f-ed up big time by signing the DMCA. I hope this document burns in hell.

Have a nice day.

it will, but it's going to take time and money join EFF.