G5 Xserve Very Soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In Fred Anderson's presentation which he gave at the Smith Barney Citigroup Conference (details found on MacRumors page 43 had the following picture:

You can download the PDF here .

EDIT: The title is suppose to read G5 Xserve Very Soon?

[fixed title -Amorph]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I wouldn't really bank on that image being indicative of G5 XServes coming out soon. That entire PDF looks like it was created by an intern in 1/2 hour. I' think the slide was just to illustrate that Apple now has "Heavy Iron" and the OS to drive it. Good eye though.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Actually, i think the chances of a quick G5 rack-mount server have somewhat diminished in the light of the Virginia Tech announcement. If i was buying 1100 top-end boxes to build a high profile supercomputer, i would expect the vendor to let me know if a more appropriate enclosure was shipping in the next few weeks. i think i might even put it in the contract.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I say that slide also, so I took my time to listen to what Fred Anderson actually said at the conference. Did he hinbt on G5s in Xsrvcer anytime soon? We knos that they will get there eventually but.. soon? No.. he didn't say anything of the sort. This slide is just a summary of Apple's future. G5 is looking awfully good, so does Xserve and OSX's underpinnings. Apple's here to stay, get with the program, invest now unless you wan't to miss the boat.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jellytussle

Actually, i think the chances of a quick G5 rack-mount server have somewhat diminished in the light of the Virginia Tech announcement. If i was buying 1100 top-end boxes to build a high profile supercomputer, i would expect the vendor to let me know if a more appropriate enclosure was shipping in the next few weeks. i think i might even put it in the contract.

I disagree! VT wanted those machines fast as you might remember so that they could make it into that list of greatest supercomputers in the world. That is why Apple shipped those 1100 Powermacs ahead of individual orders. Apple could still release a G5 Xserve soon because VT did not have the time to wait that long for it anyhow. So we still could, and should, see a G5 Xserve update soon. I think that would make sence.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    There is no Jaguar Server version right now that runs on a G5. For Xserve Apple needs to be able to deliver the Server version. I guess G5 Xserves will come with Panther ... and BTW servers usually need a lot of IO power not necessaryly CPU power, there's no hurry!