just recieved my 17"TiPB, question!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hi all,

finally, got my new PB for 2hrs...

now, i just used all the rest of the battery, how long do i have to charge for the first time? could i power on the pb while i am charge the battery? plz give me some ideas.

by the way, i see a dead pixel (black one) on my wide screen?! what should i do? (i didn't but in apple store)

plz give advices! thanks!!!

gNYp

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I'm not sure of the battery question other than follow what Apple says to do. My understanding is that some dead pixels are just stuck and can be massaged back to life. Gently go over the area with a soft cloth to see if that helps. You may want to look at MacinTouch.com, which I find to be a very helpful resource for problems. I know I've seen discussion on dead pixels and battery issues on that site.

P.S. I'm jealous.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You should leave the computer plugged in until the battery is completely full. There's no guarantee that the battery will have a full charge upon removing it from the box, and it might not have any charge at all. But as an example, my iBook came out of the box with enough charge to go through the registration program that appeared the moment I booted up. I was in the car with my mom driving home, and I was so excited I just had to try it out before I got home. It's easy to check how much charge you have left, there's a little battery icon in the menu bar that says what percent charge the battery has (or alternately, how long the battery will last at the current rate).

I don't know how to deal with a dead pixel though. There's really nothing you can do. If you only have one, it's not likely Apple will do anything about it. If you have more than one, they might, especially if they're close together and somewhere in the center of the screen rather than the edge.

That kinda sucks, though. Stuck pixels (where they always display one color) are not as bad because they can sometimes blend into the background. I used to have a PowerBook 3400c with three (yeah, three) stuck pixels, and this was only an 800x600 screen. But since they were light colored, I didn't notice them on the light background.

If you can't get anything done about it (chances are you can't), I'd just suggest using a dark background so it blends in better. You'll get used to it. On the other hand, you could just send me the PowerBook and buy a new one, I don't mind. I'll even trade my iBook to you if you want
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gnypgnyp Posts: 37member
    thanks all!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    For your battery, first charge it up completely. Then you should run your machine until you get the battery warning. Ignore it and continue working until it goes to sleep automatically. After that, charge the battery completely again and it will have been "calibrated." This doesn't make the battery last longer; it calibrates the circuitry that determines when it is actually empty. After that, have fun with your new PB! (This procedure is documented somewhere in that nearly useless little leaflet Apple thinks is an owners manual)

Sorry to hear about your dead pixel. I was talking to a guy at my local Apple store and he said that if the dead pixel is more than ~2 inches from the edge, you might have a case for replacement. It doesn't hurt to ask whomever you bought your machine from, but Apple usually requires several before calling the display defective. Buying an LCD is always a crapshoot, unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gnypgnyp Posts: 37member
    thanks again!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by gNYp

thanks again!

Take his comment a little farther and you'll get better results. I don't know where to do this on your pbook, because my first pbook is shipping to me now. But I have pc laptops and the best thing to do with your battery life is to immediately go and turn off the "go to sleep" option when the battery gets to a certain level. This way, the battery will go completely dead and turn off. Then plug it and and let it completely charge. Once charged, you could even let it die one more time. Then you'll know for sure that the battery has calibrated. Oh, and yes, you can run it while it is charging. The computer will run off of the electrical power and not use the battery when plugged in. The pixel problem I have no idea about... I'm praying mine doesn't have one!

ME
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Someone in my hall has one. One word: wow.